Sponsored by:

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front license plate

As much as I dislike the US "barn door" front license plates on my cars, I also thought that the recess left in the front bumper of the 964 is not very attractive, either. I found my solution at www.grtpl8ts.com where I purchased a genuine German license plate and holder, with my personal registration. I placed the order on Monday night and the plates were delivered by FedEx, from Germany, on Friday morning. You don't get better service than that from sellers in the USA!
Anyway, I am equally delighted with the look of the Euro plate on the front of my 964. The plastic plate frame did not seem to be too securely held by the standard two screws that attach the US plates, so I modified my bracket for the narrower frame, attached it to that, and now the mounting is very solid.
See the photos below and let me know what you think. Sooner or later I'm probably going to find out what the local Sheriff's department thinks of my innovation, too!
Attached Images    
Old 05-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need a front liscense plate in Maryland.

My daily driver is a Mini Cooper S. I made it 2 1/2 years- but Friday night was pulled over for no front plate. I was not doing anything wrong with my driving. He just had nothing better to do - and it was the end of the month I guess.

I was in a tie from work, was not speeding, put my flashers on, very polite, said I had no idea why I was pulled over when he asked, and I asked a lot of curious questions and pretended I did not know the Maryland rule. My wife was trying to control her laughter in the passenger seat........

My record was clean........I got away with no fine. Now it is on my record and I am going to put the plate on.

The Cooper S front bumper has no holes for states that need no plates up front. There are divits where you drill. I will not have to drill to small holes thru my front bumber to get to the mounting holes. I have had the bracket on my garage wall since the car was new.

At least I made it as long as I did - I know some people that made it less than a month.

Still makes me mad

Flagg
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm driving with out a front plate right now, an technically without a back plate, but I've still got my temporary registration from buying the car. I'd like to get a plate like Hambisa did. A guy I know has the Euro-look plate on the front of his car- I don't think he's ever been stopped in 4 years.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Ian, what was the charge for the plate? Tx.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hambisa - Cool frame! Almost makes your plate look likes it's hovering in front of your bumper!

Flagg - Yeah... The Md Cops will get you... VA cops too. I grudgingly purchased and installed a front mount on my (prior) California car.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:56 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good for a front plate but it may cause more problems using a"homemade" tag then just driving around without one. Maybe some Rookie cop out to make a name or something
Old 05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife wanted something on the front so I went for this. Pennsylvania does not use a front plate.
Attached Images   
Old 05-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

The custom plate cost $19 (a few $$ less if pick from stock plates on the web site), $11 for the frame and $25 FedEx 3-day shipping.
I like LouZ plate; cryptic and authentic-looking pre-EC German. Where did you get yours?
Jim is probably right that a non-standard is more conspicuous that none at all. I can argue that at least it is my legal registration, and perhaps avoid a fine (the first time.) Some rules, like front plates, are so pointless they need to be challenged. Time to mount a campaign here in California; I'm sure Arnold will be sympathetic.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
Sir I pulled you over because your front plate letters are to big and obvious , you are going to have to pay a fine and put on a smaller plate !
Thank you, Officer, for pointing out the error of my ways . . . .

Quick Reply: Front license plate