Sponsored by:

Carpet Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:21 PM
gcclubs
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carpet Replacement

Could anyone who has replaced their carpets provide me with supplier names/website addresses?

Is this a DIY project? Looks like it should be relatively easy?

What kind of cost can I expect?
Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 PM
mj964
Intermediate

I did replace the carpet in my 91 C4 this winter, switching from linen to black. Beware - Porsche does not sell full carpet sets as kits. The parts dept at my local dealer went through their PET system and came up with over 2 dozen individual pieces. The price was in the $1500-1600 range, with no real idea when they would arrive from Germany (for the original sliverknit). Their advice: order a set from the Tweeks catalog. I did (about $800) and they sent a complete set within 3 weeks.

I really don't think this was a DIY project. It's not that easy to work with, and there is a specific installation order to have all the seams look correct when you're done. Glue it down wrong, and you'll ruin it coming back up. I had a trim shop do the work, and the car came back 3 days later looking factory new. I suppose if you can do a professional looking job of wallpaper, etc. then you might give it a shot. I can't, and have never regretted paying the trim guys.

Mike
'91 C4
Boston
Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 PM
mj964
Intermediate

I did replace the carpet in my 91 C4 this winter, switching from linen to black. Beware - Porsche does not sell full carpet sets as kits. The parts dept at my local dealer went through their PET system and came up with over 2 dozen individual pieces. The price was in the $1500-1600 range, with no real idea when they would arrive from Germany (for the original sliverknit). Their advice: order a set from the Tweeks catalog. I did (about $800) and they sent a complete set within 3 weeks.

I really don't think this was a DIY project. It's not that easy to work with, and there is a specific installation order to have all the seams look correct when you're done. Glue it down wrong, and you'll ruin it coming back up. I had a trim shop do the work, and the car came back 3 days later looking factory new. I suppose if you can do a professional looking job of wallpaper, etc. then you might give it a shot. I can't, and have never regretted paying the trim guys.

Mike
'91 C4
Boston

Quick Reply: Carpet Replacement