Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 11:57 AM
Flagg
Racer

Default Refinishing Wheels

After almost 13 years I am thinking of refinishing my wheels. Figure the 50th Porsche Parade (which I will be parked with the RSAs) is as good of reason as any.

The wheels are not terrible, but have some scrapes and nicks over the years.

Had anyone had this done? Are you happy with the results?

I live in Ellicott City Maryland and have gotten a lot of recommendations for a place off route 1 called the ol' wheel shop. Anyone who is local have any opinions about them?

They said it would be between $95-125 depending on condition. They said it would be another $20 to remount and ballance the tires. So I would be looking at $580 max - and the wheels would look like new.

Should I trust my precious wheels with them?????

Thanks,
Flagg
Old 04-29-2005 | 03:30 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I sent my sport classic to Wheel Collision in Bath PA it was about 75 bucks a wheel 3 years ago and they did an excellent job
Old 04-29-2005 | 03:35 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garrett posted a DIY that got a lot of good ideas. You can do an excellent job with Wurth silver and Min Wax gloss urethane. The professionals are making a lot of money at the prices they are charging. If you don't include time removing and replacing the wheels, a time budget of 4 hours is plenty to get 4 or 5 wheels painted. Materials will cost ~$50.
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:28 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine used the Ye Olde Wheel shop and recommended it to me. They used to advertise in Autoweek (may still; i haven't read it in years). Kinda pricey just for repainting.
Old 04-30-2005 | 06:27 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

You may want to check out sportscartire.com
They are in Wilmington Delaware.
The owner has a GT3 and previously campaigned a 964.
They refurbish wheels and sell take-offs and aftermarkets.
Just don't go into their wheel room. It will make you want to open your wallet.
Old 04-30-2005 | 09:51 PM
Flagg
Racer

Update:

After geting several local recommendation for Ye Olde Wheel Shop, seeing that they still advertise in Autoweek, and seeing in person the work they had done to a friends wheels - I decided to go with them. I dropped them off today.

They charge $95 a wheel, and $20 to dis-mount and re-mount and ballance a tire. So I am in for less then $500........that is a lot of money - but once every 13 years is not bad.

For that $95 they sand-blast the old paint off the wheels, fill any divits, repaint, clear coat on top. They say they will look brand new again. Keep your fingers crosses.

I have NEVER seen so many wheels in one place as I did when I walked in their warehouse. I guess that would be wheels off cars

I will report back in a few weeks when I get the wheels back......

Flagg
Old 04-30-2005 | 10:42 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Hey Flagg...I live in Clarksville....Did you check out Wheel Worx? They're supposed to do a terrific job and they're right here local. I too am hoping to make the RSA section of the car sho in Hershey.
Old 05-01-2005 | 12:03 AM
Flagg
Racer

RedRS,

I would love to meet you in Hershey. I am hoping to be allowed to park in the RSA lot too. It was the parade that finally inspired me to refinish my street wheels. I have been thinking about it for years.

I remember when you first posted - you have a beautiful car. I have had one good recomendation for Wheel Worx, and several for Ye Olde Wheel Shop. The prices were about the same. Since I live VERY close to Ye Olde Wheel Shop I decided to use them......

I will be able to give you a personal opinion in a few weeks - I will try to post pictures..........of course what I wish I had done is take pictures before...........

Flagg
Old 05-01-2005 | 03:54 PM
SoCalCab
Track Day

Have others found that the going rate for refinishing is around $100 per wheel?

If so, I need to keep looking. Wheel Enhancement in LA quoted me $200 per wheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations in the Southern California area?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2005 | 04:12 PM
Trader220
Race Car

In southern Cal. Try Al Reed's place. If you do a search on Pelican Parts of Al's name you'll see he's the peoples choice hands down for quality and service. I dont have any personal experience with him but the hundreds of photos posted by very happy customers tells the whole story.
Old 05-01-2005 | 08:54 PM
SoCalCab
Track Day

Thanks, Trader.

I see that Al Reed is also listed on the PCA site. His shop is pretty close to me. I'll give him a call. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Refinishing Wheels