Sponsored by:

Cab Roof Not Closing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
paulnott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cab Roof Not Closing

I put the roof down this evening and as it went down it made a noticable clunk (from the passenger side I think).
When I came to put the roof up, it didn't want to close. The front part of the roof seems to overshoot the top of the windshield.
I managed to get it to close with a little brute force, but it wasn't easy.

Since then I took off the covers at the back to see if I could see anything wrong. Nothing noticable. The gearboxs and motors are fairly quiet. I can't see any linkages in the roof itself loose or broken either.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? Looking at the microswitches on the right side of the car, the switch that seems to be activated when "up" is not depressed, but I don't believe this is the problem. This seems to deactivate the roof up motors AND the motors that pull the front shut. so I guess this is some kind of "last resort" cut out.

Any help much appreciated as summer approaches and I don't wish to drive around "inside"

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do not try to open it... check the bolts that hold the transmissions in place.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Let me elaborate... I had a similar situation. First of all run and buy a lotto tickect... people have had their linkages break... so you were lucky that nothing is broken.

Most likely is that the bolts that hold the transmission in place (those big black round things under the side covers) are loose and not letting the transmission align correctly.

There are post with photos on this, due a search.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:47 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a clunk in my left drive motor, dealer fixed it before I bought it, and before I got there. Claimed it was an $800 fix.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:44 AM
paulnott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jaime! You were correct, the bolts securing the passenger (left side in UK ;o) had come loose. I repositioned the transmission and re-tighted. To do this, I had to slacken the large 17mm bolt in the middle as with the roof shut I couldn't move the transmission.
It seems to be working okay again now! Hurray!
I'm a little concerned about alignement though now. Any tips on how best to check this? I'll take a search of the forum also.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Paul

Quick Reply: Cab Roof Not Closing