Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about converting 964 "Active" Wing to RS America Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001 | 11:12 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Post Questions about converting 964 "Active" Wing to RS America Wing

I'm converting my 91 964 from the factory "active" wing to an RS America wing. From what I understand, I'll need to use a pre-1989 decklid and RS America hinges (since the 964 hinges won't meet the holes for the pre-1989 decklid). Someone posted the part number for the RS America hinges a while back, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone please post it again? Also, does anyone know why the RS America tail won't work with the 964 decklid? Thanks very much for your replies.
Old 11-19-2001 | 02:03 PM
John52
Instructor

I converted my 92 coupe to a RS America style tail using a MA SHAW RS AMERICA replica. I used my existing decklid. Once you remove the pop-up wing, motor and grill the replacement wing fits right into the opening. I used the existing holes in the decklid to run the attachment bolts through, so you don't have to drill any new holes in your decklid. As I recall I reinforced the areas in the wing where the bolts went through the fiberglas. I don't know if that was really necessary or not but it made me feel better.

I also jumpered the electical connection to the wing motor to tell the system that the wing was "up" all the time and therefore not set off any warning lights. My car is currently in winter storage so I can't immediately tell you which terminals to jumper but I did see a previous posting on this forum which explains how to do it.
Old 11-19-2001 | 02:18 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The Turbo/RS America hinges are part number:
965.512.019.00 -Left
965.512.020.00 -Right

I don't know why you couldn't drill the holes into your existing decklid and attach spoiler. Hopefully someone else knows if any problem with this approach.
Old 11-19-2001 | 03:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You do not need to purchase the hinges. The only difference is a small bracket that you can make out of 1 X 1" aluminum angle. It is very easy. The hinges on a 964 are spread wider that previous 911's. Also if you are making the conversion, just remove the top brain which is located under the dash to the right of the Air Bag brain, or to the right of the center console, near the upper most area of the passenger footwell. Its a small black plastic box, roughly 2" x1 1/4" x 3". Email me an I will send you a picture off my factory RSA showing the hinge and bracket.
Old 11-19-2001 | 04:58 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to Mike from MA Shaw. They apparently make a version of the RSA wing that fits a 964 decklid without modification (this is the one that John52 apparently had fitted to his 964). Since this is the least invasive approach (i.e., it doesn't require replacing the decklid), I think that I'll get an MA Shaw wing for my car and keep my factory 964 decklid.
Old 11-20-2001 | 05:42 AM
Anatol
Racer

Hi
I have a Carrera 3.2l wing on a matching deck lid installed to my 1991 C2. The wing would not have fitted to the C2 decklid and I prefered to keep the lid unmodified. My mechanic only had to fabricate a simple adaptor from an aluminium profile to fit the lid to my stock hinges. However, make sure to override the "wing up" sensor or your warning light will be on permanently.

Anatol
Old 11-20-2001 | 05:58 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Anatol,
Nice to see you here.
Guys Anatol has a very nice C2. He has done a ot of work himself on improvements and the Roock engine set up is very nice. Especially in third gear. You can certainly feel the extra 40 or so HP.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-20-2001 | 11:21 AM
John52
Instructor

Note to J-Mcdonald:

If you go with the MA Shaw wing I think you will be satisfied. Mine has been on for about 4 years now and I receive lots of compliments on the "smooth one piece" styling and the overall look of the car. The wing came in pretty good shape, but still expect to spend some time spot filling pin holes on the surface and smoothing/straightening out the edges in the grille openings. As I said in my previous posting, the wing comes undrilled so you can use the existing holes in the decklid. 6 mm bolts on the sides where the old wing attached and as I recall 3 or 4 mm bolts through the holes that the original grate attached with. I mounted my wing on thin rubber spacers rather then directly against the decklid. Rubber household faucet washers work great for this. I also "improved" the mounting of the aluminum screen by adding some weather stripping foam tape inside wing to eliminate any screen vibration. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2001 | 03:42 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

John52-- thanks very much for the follow up. Do you have any pictures that you could post of your car with the wing?
Old 11-21-2001 | 09:07 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

Here is a link to my Pelican Tech article for a (MA Shaw) wing installation on my C2. It also includes how to disable the dash light.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._rear_wing.htm

Hope this helps !

Quick Reply: Questions about converting 964 "Active" Wing to RS America Wing