Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 11:40 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts
There is a guy in PCA Potomac Region who recently purchased a European 964 Cup Car. If I remember correctly, he said it weighs around 2340lbs. The interior is completely stripped, except for RS door panels and a standard 911 dash. He installed a passenger seat to accomodate instructors for Driver's Ed. I can't remember exactly what he told me about the HP but I think he said around 285HP. I was lucky enough to get to drive it at VIR (you can pretty much drive any line you want) and afterwards determined that in terms of bang for your buck (considering he got it for about $25K less than the asking prices I have seen on Rennlist for US 964 Cup cars), there isn't anything better. I would guess that if he ever races it in PCA Club Racing, they would probably put the car in C because US 964 Cup cars and RS Americas are in D and a Euro 964 Cup would have a serious advantage in terms of power to weight ratio.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:30 PM
phil@tech9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got two European 964 Cup cars for sale if anyone is interested ?
Old 11-21-2001, 12:54 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
The US Cup Car that is eligible to run in D class in PCA Club Racing must have a full interior. In addition, the rule book has the HP listed as 247. Contrary to many urban legends, all of the US Cup Cars were all converted back to stock trim (ie, stock Carrera 2's). Thus, an individual who has one of the US Cup Cars essentially has the same powerplant as the RSA/C2. The required minimum weight on both the RSA and Cup Car are listed as the same in the rule book-2760lbs. A european or stripped US Cup Car would be a GT-2 candidate. At one time there was talk of having a GT-C class for 964 based cup cars, but I don't believe anything came of it. Probably because of lack of interest. You rarely see a stock class cup car in PCA Club Racing. For a year, they had the 993 Cup Cars in B Stock, but after evaluation (particularly because the cars weren't street legal and were stripped), they moved them to GT-2 and then created GT-C (GT Cup Car).
Old 11-21-2001, 03:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Carrera51:
<STRONG> I would guess that if he ever races it in PCA Club Racing, they would probably put the car in C because US 964 Cup cars and RS Americas are in D and a Euro 964 Cup would have a serious advantage in terms of power to weight ratio.</STRONG>
Actually they run in D with a minimum weight of 2760# according to the Club Race rules.
Even with the higher weight they have a serious advantage. IMO they should be a C stock car to start with, but if they moved them to a GT car they would be backmarkers.
Greg
Old 12-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey Gregg. Found this thread, and appreciate your comment on a euro carrera cup running in GT2. Back marker for sure!
As for the comment earlier in this thread its putting out 285 HP. I don't belive it, with or with out a cat. Had mine dynoed by Johnson Auto sportwith cat and it was no where near that. Am looking at new wheels
though for next year. Tom at yougblood wheels he can save me quite a bit at each corner. Looking forward to next year!
Merry Cristmas Gregg!

-Jerry Greene
Old 12-13-2001, 01:33 AM
Karl T
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
&gt; The only 964 Cup car that I have seen didn't have an interior and
&gt; it ran in D stock

Not to question, but I find that odd, since "Stock" classes must run with complete interiors, including seats and carpet (except under the driver's feet, as noted earlier). If the car in question was running in "Stock" it should have been (and likely was) contested.

_k_

Quick Reply: 964 Cup Car