Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I expect for a 45,000 tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:38 PM
alanrhodes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What should I expect for a 45,000 tune up?

I have a 1991 C4 that I have had for about a year. I have only changed the oil and have driven about 3,000 miles on it. The old owner had all the Porsche recommended 30,000 mile tune up done complete including Valve clearnce check and Dist. vent kit at 37,000 miles on it. Between the old owner and myself the car now has 46,000 miles on it. A local Porsche shop (Not dealer) gave me a price of $2000 for a complete tune up, but said if I like I can not get everything done to bring the cost down(I thought this a high price) Should I have it all done or just filters and oil? Thanks Alan
Old 03-16-2002, 10:27 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alan:

You can check your owner's manual for the best info on what should be done every 15,000 miles. But, here's what I've been having done every 15,000 miles on my 911's:

Oil and filter change
Valve Adjustments
Replace spark plugs
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace fan and A/C belts
Flush brake fluid
Flush transmission fluid

The brake fluid flush is complicated on a C4 so a knowledgeable tech should do that work. (See other recent posts on C4 ABS and brake systems)

Other things like brake inspections and a general inspection should always be done on a regular basis as well. The general consensus seems to be that the distributor belt should be replaced at 50,000 miles.

I'm thinking the 15k service could be done for more like $1000 (give or take a few hundred). $2000 sounds a little excessive unless your mechanic plans to do much more than the normal maintenance mentioned above.

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 03-18-2002, 04:50 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Alan

I owuld find out exactly what is included in the $2000. Let us know.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:15 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Alan,
Ask your shop to give you a copy of the full servicing schedule. This is what I am sure he is quoting off. The price seems a tad high for me.
I recommend you get a FULL service done. However to reduce costs you can drop some things off.
For a C4 you must replace the brake fluid every 2 years. This does require a Bosch Hammer and expertise which sometimes you are charged a premium for.
I think his price may include a full set of ignition parts. Ignition leads are "Very" expensive. However unless you ask you are never going to know. He may have purchased or intends to purchase the factory service kit and these are not cheap either. You can often do much better purchasing the parts separately.
The full Porsche schedule is contained in the Maintenance manual. Ask for this and ask for a cost of each check.
For the record, I do not have the valves done every service. This is an expensive job to have done, in labour costs. I have mine done every second service or every 40,000klms. I have had no troubles so far. It is up to you though.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: What should I expect for a 45,000 tune up?