Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission grinding

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 07:22 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by tonytaylor:
<strong>The quality of the shift from 2nd to 3rd deteriated after I fitted a LWF and has been getting worse of late to the extent that at the last trackday there was sometimes no gears in the box at all on 2nd to 3rd and problems shifting down 3rd to 2nd were occuring.
I have had the transmission oil changed and the clutch bled (apparantly), and so far road use shows a big improvement, but I won`t know if the problem has been resolved or a rebuild will be needed soon until a few track miles have been done.
Changing fluids frequently appears to be cheaper than a tranny rebuild !</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Further to the above, the gear change was fine for road use after the clutch was bled and was fine on the first part of the trackday but deteriated throughout the afternoon as the track miles began to pile up, starting with crunching on the 2nd to 3rd change, then the downshift to 2nd became a crunch and by the end of the day 2 episodes with no gears at all.The box is now obstructive in all gears, especialy first, in road use.
Since bleeding the clutch made such a dramatic improvement last time the clutch fluid is the number one suspect. We are thinking the fluid is overheating and are going to change to a more heat resistant type and perhaps sheild any pipes and the slave cylinder with asbestos tape or similar.
I will report again after the next track session.

Quick Reply: transmission grinding