Sponsored by:

Change clutch & flywheel - how long?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Change clutch & flywheel - how long?

How many hours should it take for a trained mechanic to do this on a C2?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine done last fall, ballpark 12 hrs give or take an hour is what I recall.
Shop was an independent that specializes in Porsches.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a C2 I seem to remember 8-9 hours quoted by most independents here in the UK, although some will give you an 'all-in' price....
Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christer
On a C2 I seem to remember 8-9 hours quoted by most independents here in the UK, although some will give you an 'all-in' price....

Thanks Christer!! Thats what I thought too. I've just had an RS clutch & LWF fitted and they charged me 15 hours labour. However, the clutch kit was not on the parts list, so I think they must have just included it in the labour charge for some reason. Cost me £1800 including having a Danske CAT By-Pass and a new 02 senson fitted. They also changed gearbox oil, so not too bad a price I suppose.

Andy
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Christer
Race Car

Let me know what you think of the LWF and whether you have any problems. In fact, I guess I will see you on 24th? That price doesn't sound too bad...but then I have no sense of reality when it comes to Porsche bills....
Old 04-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

No stalling issues so far...! The gearbox is a little noisy when lugging it, but I know that's something I can learn to avoid, and that you're probably used to by now!

Yep, I will be there on the 24th!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Thanks Christer!! Thats what I thought too. I've just had an RS clutch & LWF fitted and they charged me 15 hours labour
15 hours sounds like book time, not actual. It can easily be done in half that time and if you just drop the transmission than even less.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:24 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
The gearbox is a little noisy when lugging it, but I know that's something I can learn to avoid, and that you're probably used to by now!
If it makes you feel any better, Andy, I've got an 89 C4 with the light"er" flywheel, and I have some gearbox noise under 2k RPMs (which I try to stay out of anyway). It scared the hell out of me when I first got the car!
Brian
Old 04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Some years ago I heard that my mechanic did the job in half a day. The work was done on an 89 C4 which makes it a bit easier in some way AFAIK. This mechanic is the most experienced guy at my Porsche Center and he has some 25 years of experience at the 24H of Francorchamps. Great guy and great driver too, I nearly needed fresh underwear after a test drive with him for a PPI
Finding the right guy to do the job can save you money I guess, I always ask in advance that he takes care of all the work that has to be done on my cars. Hopefully there will be somebody with equal experience to take his place when he retires.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done 6 911 clutch replacements and 2 964 clutch replacements. All rear wheel drive 911s, no all wheel drives or C4. The first time replacing a 964 clutch took about 7-8 hours, and the second time I did it in less than 6hrs. I feel confident that if I had to do it again, it could be done in about 4-5hrs. Mind you this was accomplished using airtools and the appropriate lifting equiptment along with a couple freinds to lend a hand as needed.

Any qualified, certified or experienced tech working in an adequate facility should be able to duplicate, or even beat my results with no problem. Unfortunately, if you are paying a shop to do this repair they are going to charge you a flat rate based on book time and not how long it takes the tech to do the job. This protects you (the customer) from being charged for more hours than it should take according to the book. However, if the tech is able to beat the time in the book it benefits the shop and not you. In other words they may still legally charge you the maximum time allowed for the repair even though the tech may finish the job in 1/3 the time alotted in the book.

This time limit strategy is developed by the factory that produced the car along with factory mechanics on which the time was based. It is a standard practice with all automotive manufacturers to determine time frames for which jobs should completed in order for the dealerships to maintain profits in their service areas. Aftermarket publishers buy rights to this info for the publishing of repair procedures and time specs in their own books. These books are then sold to independant shops and repair facilities so they to can charge a general rate for a specific repair. Typically the price difference of independent shops v/s dealerships is cheaper due to the labor rate and not so much the time frame for the job.

Hope this helps as a general overveiw of how things work in the auto repair feild. There are other aspects that I did not go into, but others may want to add in this thread.

Duncan
Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

That's nice background info Duncan. Tx.

Quick Reply: Change clutch & flywheel - how long?