Sponsored by:

Throttle position indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Throttle position indicator lights

As I understand it, a non-tiptronic 964 motor does not have a throttle posiiton sensor. If that's the case, does the DME get any analog input for idle/partial/full throttle?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to wire a dash display for my in-car videos that would involve a row of three green lights. I'd like it to have one green light come on for partial throttle, two for half-throttle and all three for full throttle. My thinking was that I could use the electronic signal from whatever sensors the 964 motor uses to read throttle position to trigger whatever control I put together for this set of three lights.

Oh, and one more thing: I'm a complete idiot when it comes to electronics.

Still, it seems like it should be do-able. There's even a chance that my 964 motor was originally mated to a tiptronic transaxle. Are there any easy ways to tell?

Any ideas on the best way to do this?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:32 AM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea about electronics either but I would have thought it might be easier to link up a cable and pulley to the gas pedal, which would drive an on-dash gauge. I've no idea if such a thing exists but I can sort of see how it would work in my head.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack... I'm pretty sure your VIN number should tell everything about your car... Including the original transmission.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Almost all the information you need is there, even though your engine doesn't have a true TPS.

Here's the solution:

Wide open throttle - the WOT switch
Partial throttle - (Not the Idle switch & Not the WOT switch) and V1(AFM)
Half throttle - (Not the Idle switch & Not the WOT switch) and V2(AFM)
Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Rick, my VIN is from my car's tub, which is a 1972. I've got a swapped-in engine that came from Germany.

Loren, thanks; that makes sense to me. Allthough it might be that a potentiometer could be added somewhere to the throttle to make it simpler, for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Allthough it might be that a potentiometer could be added somewhere to the throttle to make it simpler, for me."

You're right, but it then becomes a mechanical & electronic solution. That, though,
is the best approach, since monitoring the AFM is really a load sensing point and
not a really true sample of the throttle position. The AFM approach is kinda mickey
mouse, actually.

Quick Reply: Throttle position indicator lights