Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you have your own Bosch Hammer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I hadn't thought about the NI-Cads being shot. Are they a special pack or user replacable?" - craig001 -

A battery pack can easily be made using standard Ni-Mh AAs and not the junk Ni-Cads.

"I'm seen the thread about John's new "Spanner". I don't have a laptop so it may be a wash after getting the laptop, software, cabling, etc." - craig001 -

John Speake has developed a unit exclusively for the 928, but it could be adapted
for the 964. He's probably working on that adaption now. Others here on Rennlist
have developed a PC RS232 interface and a special applett for displaying codes and
reseting them. Do a search.

"What are the dealerships using now?" - Smokin -

The dealers have been using the Porsche PST2 which is basically a 486 laptop
under Windows 3.0. Recently they have converted to a PST3 which runs under
a version of Windows XP.

CARB does stand for California Air Resources Board which was the"driving force" behind OBDII.
So that function in the Hammer, CARB(ISO), does some limited form of ODBII which
Bosch/Porsche developed for the early 993s prior to the PST2. I haven't found any of my
customers who have used that function in the Hammer. So probably if one had the OBDII
adapter cable, he could access some of the OBDII info on OBDII cars.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
John Speake has developed a unit exclusively for the 928, but it could be adapted for the 964. He's probably working on that adaption now.
From John Speake's, JDSPorsche webpage http://www.jdsporsche.com/jdsdiagtool.html

Diagnose and test 928 S4 , GT, SE.CS and GTS, 944S/S2 and 944 Turbo, all 964 models, all 968 models.

Note: The first production release of software is for the 928 range only. Further software updates for other Porsche models will be available when testing is finalised.

Has anyone here on the list tried it on a 964?

At 650US$ it's affordable...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Carrera4Cab
From John Speake's, JDSPorsche webpage http://www.jdsporsche.com/jdsdiagtool.html

Diagnose and test 928 S4 , GT, SE.CS and GTS, 944S/S2 and 944 Turbo, all 964 models, all 968 models.

Note: The first production release of software is for the 928 range only. Further software updates for other Porsche models will be available when testing is finalised.

Has anyone here on the list tried it on a 964?

At 650US$ it's affordable...
I emailed John about this. He said that the "Spanner" for the 964 probably won't be ready for another year or so... Hopefully sooner. His site shows that he does have Hammers for sale... $1800 I think.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I got mine from John, and it was an excellent transaction. I paid using PayPal. The unit was refurbished, which is better than getting one that is used. It looked like new, and the batteries still hold charge. Shipping between the UK and the US did not present any problems.

I looked long and hard for an "affordable" Hammer or Hammer knock-off. The "$300 Hammers seen on eBay do not include the Porsche software and cable. Both are rare as hens teeth.

I obtained bootleg software and a schematic, and even entertained building one. Affordable versions have been "a year away" for the past two years.

Baum Tools claims they have duplicated the Hammer on a general-purpose code reader that costs $3500 last time I looked. The Bosch KTS 500 shows up on eBay from time to time, but by the time you get the Porsche software and the special cable, it costs more than a used Hammer.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Baum Tools claims they have duplicated the Hammer on a general-purpose code reader that costs $3500 last time I looked." - springer3 -

I also have this tester besides the Hammer & PST2. I prefer the Baum unit over
the others, as it's the easiest & fastest to use. I can't actuate ECUs' outputs as with
the Hammer & PST2, though
Old 04-08-2005, 05:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If someone does find a hammer for sale without the Porsche ROM module call Porsche before you buy anything to see if they have any modules left. In January 04 there were two modules left in the world when I bought mine. The generic KTS-300 does ship with Porsche software (and Audi, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, GM, Toyota and a ton of other makes) but it doesn't include ALL the porsche modules that you get with the ROM module.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 PM
John Speake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I sell the Porsche software modules for the Hammer...

I also sell the OBD2 lead that would enable a Hammer like Springer3's to work with 993s.

I posted a long reply to this thread about software development program for my Spanner, but it appears to have vanished into cyberspace. Before retyping all that again I will see if this post gets through !

Regards
Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John... I think you are talking about THIS thread... A lot of great info in both threads...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
John Speake
Rennlist Member

Thanks Smokin,
Most of the info is there - except for a slight update. The software for 964, 944 , 968 is written, and is being evaluated by a couple of people at present.

I intend to release this software during this summer. The timescale for a full "Hammer" set of software is on a much longer timescale, and it does depend on me recovering some of my outplay so far.

So far sales for the 928 version have been very encouraging.

I have a question for you 964 experts - has anyone bled the PDAS system using +12v applied via jumper leads to activate the solenoids, as detailed for the 928 PDS system ? These are of course not factory sanctioned procedures, but have been used successfully by many 928 owners.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:41 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

John, I've bled the differential locks using the traction control switch on the dash which essentially activates the solenoids to pressurize the locks entirely - it just does not pulse the solenoids like the Hammer does so a repeated "on - off" of the traction control switch does the trick but just not as efficiently...
Old 04-10-2005, 02:04 PM
John Speake
Rennlist Member

Thanks Garrett,
I printed out your mail to me on this subject - thanks... good to know that this works OK !

Regards
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Baum CS-2000 to do diagnostics on my 993 (it also works on later 928, 944, 964, early boxter, etc) - unfortunately while the unit was in transit, my car was stolen, so now I have this unit sitting here. I've put it up for auction on Ebay as of 9-1-2012, just look for it - if anyone is near los angeles and wants to try it out before the auction ends, PM me - I'll be around over the memorial weekend and we can see what it reads out - the ebay auction has the document BAUM sent me saying what it does for the various cars, that will help those of you who want an alternative to the hammer.

Last edited by william_b_noble; 07-22-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Smokey7766
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a hammer also got a kick *** deal on it ($750 with 4 unopened cables )

I also bought a OBD1 interface scan tool for the car before I got the hammer that I would be willing to sell (comes with a case and all the cables a manual and a CD) I think I paid $200 for it and I would be willing to sell it. it hooks to a laptop or computer and is supposed to be able to read the codes and do something for the C4 (mine is a C2)

also posted on the for sale thread

Quick Reply: How many of you have your own Bosch Hammer?