Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Ok, I fixed my rattle. When the window was right up, there was some 'slack' in the regulator which meant that the jockey wheel at the rear was able to wobble about, leading to the rattle. All I had to do was loosen the Allen bolt holding the rear end of the runner and move the runner up slightly, thus eliminating the rattle. Easy!

Cheers
Glad to hear it, Phil. Perhaps that's all my car needed? My window didn't start rattling until after I un-stuck the window manually. Which might suggest I forced the Allen bolt out of adjustment during the process.

Then again, I had my window sticking fully-up problem before the rattle (it was the window sticking up which lead me to manual operation). Which would suggest a bad motor or worn regulator. The motor is supposed to be much less likely to fail as compared to the regulator wearing. My window hasn't stuck up since replacing the regulator, so here's hoping I got the right one.

Last edited by Randall G.; 10-13-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randall, thanks for getting this thread back on topic
Old 10-13-2003, 04:09 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cue the 'Jaws' theme...
Old 10-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Phil,

My passenger window also rattles when full up, but stops when down 1/2" or so. I've been inside and it seems that the regulator is going (the nylon (I think) discs that run in the regulator track wear over time). Had the exact thing happen on a Land Rover, the nylon disc wore to the point that one side of the scissor came out of the track!

Replacing it seems straightforward, though I expect to have pretty chewed up paws when I get done. There's not a lot of space to work with!

carl.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:35 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carl, that is exactly the problem I had. Try doing what I did - loosen the bolts and push the rear end of the horizontal runner up slightly until the free play in the nylon disc disappears. It's worth a try!

Cheers
Old 10-22-2003, 03:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

How do you guys remove the panel on the door - any tricks to watch out for? I've got a rattle in my door at every window position and want to check it out. Does the panel simply pull off?? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
JVictor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I've noticed the latest posting re; windows was in 2003. Am I missing something here?

My 2000 C2pass side window sticks 'up' when the door is opened, meaning it catches under the w'strip lip. (first noticed this typically Germanic feature that brings the window down a fraction upon opening and now even on the VW Beetle) It can be pushed down that fraction by hand to close the door. Any ideas? What is the secret to removing the door panel if necessary? jvictor

Quick Reply: Power Windows