Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable factory coil-over suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable factory coil-over suspension?

Hi all. I'm in the process of purchasing a 1990 C2 coupe that looked lower than stock (which I liked) when I saw it. I spoke with the owner today again and after we finished discussing payment and logistics of the out-of-state sale, I asked him what kind of suspension is on the car.

He then said it has the adjustable Porsche factory coil-overs, but I never knew there were a such thing as an option for the 911 that year. Is there?

I've had H&R adjustable coil-overs on a previous Audi of mine and I loved them, so this is a good thing. I just want to know more about this setup, and the option itself. Who makes these adjustable Porsche factory coil-overs? Do they or do they source it to someone else? (ex. Bilstein)

Thnx in advance,
Harry

edited for clarity

Last edited by Euromagination; 04-03-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:58 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

All 964's have "coil over" suspension versus a "torsion bar" spring type of the old days.

Factory shocks for C2's are usually Boge; replacements can be Bilstein or Koni...

That car might have the stock shocks and springs, but just adjusted lower.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

So it's nothing special that they're height-adjustable on each wheel? That was standard for the 964 in 1990? I thought the standard was just non-adjustable springs and shocks, not a true adjustable coil-over suspension. ?

Last edited by Euromagination; 04-03-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coil-over does not mean adjustable it just means the "coils" go "over" the shocks/struts....
Old 04-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siberian
Coil-over does not mean adjustable it just means the "coils" go "over" the shocks/struts....
Yes I know, but these are adjustable, which is what has me wondering if they're "Porsche factory" as I asked above?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

You can adjust the factory shocks a few threads in general. However, you cannot lower the car or corner balance the car to precise specs. There are billet adapters or lowering perches that are made to allow for a lower spring placement.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Yes, the stock shocks have a threaded body and steel collar to permit height adjustment to a point - you definately can, though, corner balance the car - that's why they are threaded to a point, to fine tune the suspension, even in stock form.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All 964s are fitted with a height adjustable, full coil over suspension straight from the factory.
Adjustable refers to the fact you can adjust it, which you can. The amount and types of adjustment available now that it is a different story. The seller is telling the accurate truth
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Harry the bottom line is if you like the ride height you'll be okay. If you think that there is to much "Air" between the fenders and the tires, you'll have to shell out the cash to get new shocks with more threads so that you can adjust the car to your hearts desire.. or spring perches or lowering springs..
Old 04-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Oh, okay. Thanks all.

I didn't know the 964 had height-adjustable coil-overs. (As in a one-piece-thing--damper + springs as an assembly.) Pretty cool. I thought it was always "stuck" at the same height unless you added a "true" coil-over suspension like the 993's Bilstein PSS9.

The car has a slight front "rake" right now, which I'm not sure I like. I like it, but I'm sure I'll want to change it. I want the rear wheel's fender-tire gap to match the front's current, smaller gap.

Anyway, thank you. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Quick Reply: Adjustable factory coil-over suspension?