Sponsored by:

New Drink Holder

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Drink Holder

I just received my new drink holder for the Porsche. It's been a pain having to hold my drink... Or making sure I get a re-sealable bottle. Here's some pics. Someone had asked how it attached in another thread.

You can see how it works from this angle. Just a simple screw with a plastic wingnut on top to easily tighten it down.

Here's a shot of the seat track that it attaches to.

Here you can see it attached.

Another angle from above.

Off topic... But here's what I did to my door handles. I saw a high-dollar door handle with an emblem on it. I bought some lapel pins on ebay, trimmed the pin on the back to about an 1/8 inch, drilled a small hole in the handle and used epoxy to adhere it to the handle. I like the look and the different colors in the shield.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Yep, I've the same and like it (a lot)
Old 04-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same drink holder and it is very useful -- except my wife wants one too and I've no where to put it!

Marc

p.s. replaced my door handles with brushed aluminum ones to match trim rings on dashboard - looks very sharp but not "over-done" in my opinion. Like the crests too though - very understated yet classy.

p.p.s. that looks like a Rennline dead pedal too - very nice!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I have the same drink holder and it is very useful -- except my wife wants one too and I've no where to put it!
Marc,

Buy another one and reverse it. It won't have the beveled edge on the other side... But the mount is screwed on... Just unscrew it, flip it over and install it. It looks like it would work. If you're handy... It would be too hard to trace it and cut it out. A few tools would get the job done.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thought of that but I'm not sure I'd want my drink under either of my legs while I drive and I'm sure my wife would not want BOTH drinks under her legs.

Besides, I bought a B-K fire extinguisher mount for my first DE and it mounts in the same spot so, once I put it in, I won't be able to use the cup holder anyway.

Marc
Old 04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Besides, I bought a B-K fire extinguisher mount for my first DE and it mounts in the same spot so, once I put it in, I won't be able to use the cup holder anyway.

Marc
Marc,

A few questions...

1. Is it a Halon extinguisher?
2. Is it chrome?
3. It mounts under the seat (under legs) and mounts to seat rails?
4. What's the size?

Thanks!

Rick
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick:

It is a Brey-Krause R-2015 mount from www.ogracing.com (a Rennlist sponsor). There is a different one for power seats.

See http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...14&showbrake=1 and http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r2015.php.

It mounts to seat rails (remove seat to install) and holds a 2.5 lb extinguisher. I have not installed it yet so I don't know how hard it is -- looks easy. The mount is stainless steel and measures about 18" across and holds the extinguisher about 8" up (approx. - too lazy to go the the garage to measure it). Cost US$69

I have not yet bought the fire extinguisher yet but plan to get a Halon one (as Bill Gregory suggested) as it will not harm aluminum.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info! Yeah... I've heard Halon is the only way to go... Non corrosive and no mess. (Except the fire I suppose!) I'd like to get a chrome or red one. Is 2.5 the smallest recommended. I've seen them as small as 1.2 pounds I think. I guess if you caught it quick enough it would work. The ones I've seen on ebay are smaller and just have a pop-off clip mount. I guess I have some more homework!

Rick
Old 04-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Smokin
Thanks for the info! Yeah... I've heard Halon is the only way to go... Non corrosive and no mess. (Except the fire I suppose!) I'd like to get a chrome or red one. Is 2.5 the smallest recommended. I've seen them as small as 1.2 pounds I think. I guess if you caught it quick enough it would work. The ones I've seen on ebay are smaller and just have a pop-off clip mount. I guess I have some more homework!

Rick
I would think that a pop-off clip mount might make your fire extinguisher a projectile in an accident.....I searched here and B-K mounts seem to be the top choice of the more experienced track junkies here.

Marc
Old 04-02-2005, 01:29 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 475 Posts

Not to be a stick in the mud.... I always wonder if it's worth paying double, maybe triple for a Halon fire extinguisher when the most common occurrence is if you crash, you jump out of your car to flee if it's burning, leaving your extinguisher behind, as the corner marshalls run over and blast your car with a non-halon extinguisher!!! I have always had the cheapo BC-type until getting my definitely-more-expensive fire bottle system... Just a thought...
Old 04-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, turns out I can't order a Halon one anyway as it is illegal in Canada.....

Marc
Old 04-02-2005, 12:41 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a cupholder replacement for the cassette holder. On ebay all the time. It works great when you hve a passenger and you both don't want to drink out of the same bottle! Sorry for the glasses lying there
Granted it's pricey, but considering lack of convenient storage it comes in handy...and it looks like it's OE when put in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...539563263&rd=1

Last edited by DonW-Cape Cod; 04-02-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:55 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also the VW Passat cupholder that folds out of the way when not being used.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DonW-Cape Cod
There is also a cupholder replacement for the cassette holder. On ebay all the time. It works great when you hve a passenger and you both don't want to drink out of the same bottle!
Granted it's pricey, but considering lack of convenient storage it comes in handy...and it looks like it's OE when put in.
Looks good, Don but I kept hitting the cassette box with my elbow so put in a storage bin -- I'd be afraid I'd keep hitting my drink with my elbow with that in.

Marc
Old 04-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DonW-Cape Cod
There is also a cupholder replacement for the cassette holder. On ebay all the time. It works great when you hve a passenger and you both don't want to drink out of the same bottle!
My only problem with this one is that it only handles a "coke" can size. I like the option of having larger diameter drinks... Plus I think it's easier to reach the one on the floor. But the cassette swap out does look stock. If I run across one at a decent price I may get one of those also. It could double as a storage bin too.

Quick Reply: New Drink Holder