Sponsored by:

Running low on Petrol

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 09:27 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Running low on Petrol

This morning, as I arrived at work, my "bordcomputer" was telling me I only have 3 km left....

...and the nearest garage is 4km away !!!

Seriously, how far have people managed to get on the last drops of petrol - can you get the computer to read zero km left ??

Please don't give me the lecture on running the tank so low - my tank is always spotless inside

Taking risks is part of life.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:45 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a 993 (and possibly a 964 since you seem to imply that it has a "bordcomputer"), when the remaining mileage display warns you that you have 20 miles, the remaining mileage calculation seems to assume that you are going to experience the same fuel efficiency as you have been experiencing in the last few minutes or miles (not sure the frequency of recaliberation). So, if you are cruising along and suddenly get stuck in traffic for a little bit, it will show that you are rapidly going low on fuel and as soon as you start driving faster (fuel efficiency rises), it starts actually showing more mileage as being possible before fill up.
However I can't help you with determining whether the computer actually states zero since the lowest I have seen is 35 miles at a time when I got stuck in traffic in an area with lower octane petrol than what I use. Otherwise I usually have the display scrolled to the electronic boost display.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:46 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

Are you suggesting or giving us a hint that you need a lift to the party next weekend Mr Irishdriver.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-08-2001, 09:54 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Red face

Yes, Ran, as their steep hills up to where I work the remaining km varied a lot with the slope of the road as well as the driving style.

I note you mention looking at the Turbo boost all the time, when I test drove a 965 (a real mobile orgasm) I was amused to see that they didn't tell you fuel consumption - they told you boost instead. Was that to protect us from the bad news?

Adrian, no I'll wak to PCA Germany region annual dinner if necessary - But I might need a tow out of the park house today.

Old 11-08-2001, 10:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

In all seriousness this may be a chance to see how accurate this "bordcomputer" is. Maybe you could borrow a jerrycan of petrol and see how far you really get before the C4 conks out. I bet it is telling you distance before hitting reserves but who knows really,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-08-2001, 01:08 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Irishdriver:
<STRONG>.....I note you mention looking at the Turbo boost all the time, when I test drove a 965 (a real mobile orgasm) I was amused to see that they didn't tell you fuel consumption - they told you boost instead. Was that to protect us from the bad news? </STRONG>
Well, I don't (can't) really look at the boost gauge all the time but I guess I meant that it is the preferred display setting on my electronic display. I've driven 94 Turbo 911s too but just dont remember the petrol mileage information. In the 993, there are the usual analog gauges as well as an electronic display which shows either the boring facts of life like temperature, miles-to-empty, miles driven, etc. as well as the all important boost gauge BUT one has to choose ONE preferred display out of the few listed above. My desired display is almost always the boost gauge. Personally I would have liked an analog device but will not be retrofitting any such thing.
And yes, the fuel economy, if driven spiritedly at high rpms and without lugging the engine, is not easy on the wallet.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:11 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Talking

I don't have to wonder any more..

The "km left" reading varied from a low of 1 km left up to a high of 5 as I rolled (engine off) down the hill.

As I drove the 2km from the bottom of the hill to the garage it decreased slowly to eventually read "----" I was dissapointed not see Zero or even a minus reading.

I did another km with it reading nothing and then filled it with 71.1 litres of petrol.

Adrian, I think it's a 72 L tank can you verify this? is so I had 0.9l left in the car.

It's full now.

Ran, my preferred display is the speed reading as the analog speedometer is too difficult to read while watching out for the cameras here. Many parts of Heidelberg are 30km limits (approx 20MPH) and it's hard to stay close to the limit.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Irishdriver,
Our C4s have 77litre fuel tanks. The 72 litre was an option.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: I am happy you got to the garage.
PSS: Unusable fuel, that is fuel which cannot be picked up by the fuel pump is about 2 litres. With a 72 litre tank you would actually have been -1.1 litres and running on air.

Quick Reply: Running low on Petrol