Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe Bruce Anderson was right after all....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Maybe Bruce Anderson was right after all....

Hi,
I currently have my C2 in for its 100,000 km service. Just out of curiosity I asked my mechanic to do a compression check. To my horror cylinder no. 4 was considerably down on compression, the others are fine.

So the engine went out and once dismantled the cylinder head no 4 was found to have been severely burnt around the exhaust valve guide, causing the guide to shift. As a consequence, the valve would not close properly anymore. So combustion does seem to be on the very hot side in my engine, possibly due to my Roock chip. Nevertheless, I am quite annoyed by the fact that this happened at a rather low 100,000 km.

Even though Bruce Anderson has received quite some bashing for claiming that the exhaust side of the M64 engine sees some premature wear, I am now inclined to agree with him. However, in my case it is actually the whole head that is burnt away around the valve guide.

The positive side of it all: I can have all the gaskets replaced, even though there was no leak, anyway. And I received a compliment from my mechanic for using the C2 as intended, even in speed restrictive Switzerland: we found no carbon at all!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts
Anatol;

Premature valve guide failure is popular with this engine, however it is not the first series of engines that this has happened to. I has been very common with the 3.2ltr engine. Yes, heat does have a role in this matter, but it is likely the bronze guide material. I hope that your mechanic replaces all the guides with the newer phosphorus bronze!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Arnold
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Brucie is WRONG after all.
132000 kms and 5 yrs later my car feels better than the day I bought it.My car has never let me down and is the most reliable car I have ever owned!
Why do people mess with perfection,all these chips and things.If you want more speed buy a faster car!Like a C2 turbo or something.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arnold,
If a stock 964 for is perfect for you, be happy with it.
However, Porsches have been improved by their owners from the very first 356 onwards.
At times you may have to pay a price for it. But believe me, my grin is far bigger when I go fast in my car than it could possibly be without modifications.
Except for the chip, which takes advantage of 98 octane fuel, all my modifications do not influence the longevity of the mechanics as there are:
Cup pipe, reinforced valve spring retainers, big throttle body, K&N, 993 6-speed gearbox with GT3 lsd, H&R and Bilstein suspension, RS swaybars, RS interior, carbon front hood, RS 3.8 rearwing.
Even now, I do not regret a single modification!

Quick Reply: Maybe Bruce Anderson was right after all....