Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post-Purchase Inspection (Still a PPI...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 02:00 PM
GK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Post-Purchase Inspection (Still a PPI...)

Hi guys,

I have taken my 964 (owned since June 15th) to an expert in automobiles (Christian Huet, in Paris) and the result is that my car is rust-free, accident-free, and very good shape overall - very happy about this. When I bought it at a Porsche Center in Germany I was assured that the car was in VGC, but I still had a thought that something may be wrong.

Well, the only thing which has happened lately, after 4000 rewarding miles, is that annoying idle hunting it developed. It was only happening after a long drive (400 or more miles) and it was consistently reproducing, with the rpms dancing between 800 and 1600. No hunting on short trips or when stuck in traffic. So I took it to a Porsche dealer and they found a leak in the air intake by spraying a product (don't know which one). After cleaning and re-torquing the hunting has gone - forever I hope

Hope this may help some of you having similar idle instability.

Bye now,

Giorgio.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Giorgio,
Did you know that an incorrectly fitted dipstick can also cause the same problem. Mess with the air system anywhere and the idle will hunt. Unfortunately there are 55 other causes as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-06-2001, 06:19 AM
GK
Intermediate

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your input. I check the oil rather frequently with the dipstick and I do make sure that it fits nice and tight.

All is in top shape now.

Bye now,
Giorgio.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:29 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Hi Giorgio,

I'm glad to see your 93 964 seems not to have any problems. Mine too has been quite good so far, only problem being with the clutch, but that is more the fault of the previous mechanic being crap rather than the car itself.

Hey maybe the late 964s are almost reliable!!

Regards

Quick Reply: Post-Purchase Inspection (Still a PPI...)