Sponsored by:

Distriubutor mod for ozone related belt wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 07:40 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jay

your two cents is currently valued at Euro 0.0226.
Does this mean you opinions are worth less??

Further, have completed the vent kit mod - using the "lazy mechanic" method on John Miles site. This completely avoids the unpleasent removal & drilling of the air duct.

Thanks to all who helped.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Arnold,
If you want the evidence, check the archives it is all there. No vent kit can have the belt failing in just a few thousand kms. A few dollars or a hole in the top of the piston and you will never know, until the hole becomes a hole and then it is too late and too expensive,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 03-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Arnold
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrain
A belt failure in just a few thousand kms must be a very rare event and due to a manufacturing defect and not ozone related..unless of course the car is a garage queen and has only done a few thousand kms in the last 12 yrs and still has the origional belt.I'm with my OPC on this one because many months ago I quizzed them on this issue and they did not recommend the vent kit.
Maybe John Miles can run a survey on this although it will take 3-4 yrs for accurate results to emerge.
Regards
Arnold
Old 03-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Arnold

Strange....it is a Porsche fix for a known potential problem...
Old 03-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Arnold
Banned

If it's really official why has it never been recommended that I install it?
I am well aware of the rare but catastrophic engine damage that belt failure can do...but util half of us have installed it and the other half have not and then driven our cars for 80000kms(at least 3-4 yrs for most of us)and seen who has the belt fail and who has not...then this question can never be accurately answered.
I need to diagree on this until statistical proof can be provided.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

Arnold

It could be that your local OPC is c**p. I know mine was.

The other explanation is that maybe someone on this board pioneered the manufacture of this kit in order to make a huge amount of cash. Mind you considering it costs around £7, it probably isn't all that lucrative.

How often would you change your dist belt?
Old 03-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Arnold,
This work and data has been collected from all over the world. Check the archives as I said. Old story. If you decide to ignore the Porsche Technical Service Bulletin that is your choice and your risk as long as you understand that the collective knowledge of this list which goes back many years highly recommends you install the vent kit. Please do not come back here later and complain. You have been warned and if you are really unlucky you can damage your engine in a matter of hours. Normally it takes longer. Oh by the way, Porsche do not offer fixes by Technical service Bulletins unless they have to. In this case they had to. I wonder what other TSBs you do not have installed. I have copied the text of the TSB for you Arnold. Notice the word MUST.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Ignition Distributor Ventilation
Group2

Number

Model
6 Cyl.

Part Identifier2830

March 29, 1994

Subject:
Ignition Distributor Ventilation

ATTENTION: Service Manager / Service Technician

Models Affected:
911 Carrera 2/4, as of model year 1989

Concern:

Ventilation for ignition distributor must be installed if replacement of ignition distributor becomes necessary.

General Information:

From August 13, 1993 production date, the ignition distributor received a ventilation system as of engine numbers:

62 R 00592 - Manual Transmission
62 R 50520 - Tiptronic

If the ignition distributor requires replacement, on engines produced prior to the above engine numbers, a ventilation system must also be installed on replacement distributors which do not have it. After present stocks of new and rebuilt distributors are depleted only distributors with ventilation connection will be available.

Repair Information:
See Figure A.- Use a screwdriver to remove the oval plate (arrow A) on the ignition distributor.
- Install ventilation connector (1) into distributor.
- Remove air guide pipe.
- Drill an 18 mm diameter hole (B) 40 mm to the right of the tail light ventilation into the air guide pipe.
- De-burr the hole and remove all shavings.
- Install rubber grommet (2) into the hole.
- Install connector (3) into the grommet.
- Reinstall air guide pipe.
- Install hose (4) on the ignition distributor (A) and air pipe (B).
- Route the ventilation hose as in Figure B.

Parts Information:

Ventilation kit Part Number 000 043 202 52 consisting of the following items:

Part Number Description

993 602 121 00 Ventilation connection
911 355 922 00 Rubber grommet
911 355 323 00 Connector
000 043 205 71 Hose, 360 mm long
(for replacement order 1 x 999 181 235 40)

Warranty Information:

Labor operation Description

28304950 Install ventilation in conjunction 20 TU
with ignition distributor replacement
(distributor not supplied with ventilator).
Old 03-18-2002, 11:34 AM
John Miles
Pro

Arnold,
As Adrian suggests you will find much data in searching the archives or take a look at the Technical page on <a href="http://www.porsche964.co.uk" target="_blank">my 964 Site </a>where it is all consolidated.

John
Old 03-18-2002, 12:16 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Just noticed the date in the TSB quoted by Adrian of August 1993 being the cut off date after which Porsche themselves fixed the problem. My car is a 94 MY and one of the last 964's - Turbo Look for USA - but manufactured in July 93. This means there must be very few 964's (if any) out there which don't need this mod. Right?
Just ordered my vent kit from Pelican Parts today - I hadn't previously thought it was necessary give the late model year. Hope its not too late!
Thanks
Mark
Old 03-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Arnold
Banned

Adrian
Thanks for the info,I will print it out and wave it under the nose of the service manager.I would replace the belt every 80000kms,just like anyother drive belt,vent kit or not.
It will be interesting to see how long my current belt lasts(replaced at 94000kms and now at 118000 kms)without the vent kit.
If I destroy my engine will Porsche give me a new one free since they have failed to follow there own TSB?????
Regards
Arnold
Old 03-19-2002, 03:37 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Arnold,
I am afraid your last part of your post is not correct. TSBs are only mandatory if a recall is issued in the nation of import. Porsche cannot force anyone to carry out TSBs unless supported by local law. Your local dealer is not Porsche either by the way. This is where the national regulatory authorities are responsible.
I also think that waiting to see how long the belt lasts is not a clever idea. 80K per belt maybe up to 100K (km that is) would be the maximum I would consider even with a vent kit. I would get that vent kit installed,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-04-2002, 08:14 PM
vilhelm
Advanced

There are two distributors. Everything I've read and all the pictures of the vent mod show only 1 vent to the primary distributor...I would think you would vent them both???
Old 01-23-2003, 01:56 PM
9XI
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This is exactly my question. Shouldn't we be venting both distributors?

Can someone answer this?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Surely, that by venting one, the other is vented too as they are connected together?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can, its a simple thing (once you procure the nipple attaches to the distributor). I've got both vented, simply because some one pulled out both of the cover plates. It is easier to put in the vent tubing (windshield washer tubing, BTW) than try to find the replacement plate.

Only draw back in engine compartment is starting to look like a still ...

carl.

Quick Reply: Distriubutor mod for ozone related belt wear