Sponsored by:

Burning Smell - hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 11:55 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Burning Smell - hot Air

For the past several weeks, when I exit my C2, I smell a hot burning smell, like rubber. It is not a burning oil oder. I smell it only on the left side, strongest at the left rear wheel well. Yesterday, I when I got out, the oder was there - and in trying to track it down, I placed my hand thru the top spoke of the rear wheel. Yep, I could feel warm air movement.
-
I'm getting ready to go pull the left wheel and have a look. Any suggestions for the source of the hot air or what might be causing the burning smell. I know the Cat is there on the left side, but I don't smell exhaust, nor has the sound level increased, which would be evident if I had a hole in the cat or a loose exhaust joint, right? I hoping some meaningless piece of foam or rubber might be resting on the exhaust. As usual, any help is most appreciated.

Chuck
93 C2
Old 03-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hot air would flow through the wheel would be from the cooling system flaps - Excess air brought in from the Engine fan is channelled out through these.

Last autumn I too had a funny burning smell coming from the rear of the car. It turned out to be a leaf stuck against the Cat
Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this posting is over 2 years old....did you pull the wheel off and check what the problem was??

I recently purchased a 911 996 and have the same smell from the left rear coming out of the wheel case.....I know that heat from the engine is vented here.....but the burning rubber smell is a little alarming. The engine sounds great and all indications are okay...but the smell?!?!?

Quick Reply: Burning Smell - hot Air