Wiring in a new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Wiring in a new stereo

I'm finally getting around to replacing my original Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio/cassette player with a Denison DH100ix unit - even through the best sound is right behind me with the volume control under my right foot!

Anyway, I was looking up to confirm what to do with the dreaded green wire in Adrian's stellar book (page 367). In an italic text box on page 368 he mentions that some 1989/1990 C4's in Switzerland and the UK had a white wire that connected to a black wire and wrapped around the antenna wire to go to the antenna amplifier. Well, looks like he can add 1991 C4's in Canada to that list as I had that wire setup too (see below).

In the pin-out of the original Blaupunkt it lists the white wire with that pin location as a "telephone mute" connection - it apparently goes to the antenna amplifier.

My question is: should I attach the new stereo wiring in the same way (telephone mute to the antenna amplifier)?? That does not make much sense. Would it not make more sense to connect the antenna amplifier to a + 12v switched (ignition) power lead?

Thanks all.........Marc
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2005, 02:11 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Marc,
When I updated my stereo to a CR210 (from a 993) it still used basically the same wiring connections as the original unit so the antenna amp gets power when the stereo is on. For an after market stereo you just have to make sure the white antenna amp wire was attached to some point that receives power when the stereo is on. Often newer units have an external amp "Power On" trigger that will serve this purpose. I have attached a portion of the audio wiring diagam for the 964 if you need it.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited by C24FUN; 02-10-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:09 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What are your experiences with the Dension unit so far? I am looking into buying one, but has not meda up my mind yet, and the spanish distributor told me that they hold the sales for a while due to some problems.

Quick Reply: Wiring in a new stereo