Sponsored by:

Shaking Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Eddie911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shaking Mirror

The drivers mirror on my 90 C4 (square mirror) is shaking to the point where I can't see car behind me without giving myself a headache. The housing is tight but the actual mirror is vibrating in the housing. Any ideas on how to tighten the mechanism??
Old 10-30-2001, 01:10 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Eddie;

You need to take the mirror glass off to inspect the insides. The motor swival assy, sometimes loses a screw, or the glass is loose and needs reinstalled.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:18 AM
John Miles
Pro

Question

Are you sure, housing is tight? This happened to me last month and was fixed by removing plastic plug and tightening up allen screw in housing.
John
Old 10-30-2001, 09:27 AM
Eddie911
Track Day

Checked the housing and it is tight. How do I take the mirror apart to ensure all is tight inside?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:29 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Not sure wheither you mean the door mirror or the interior mirror - I had problems with both vibrating.

The interior mirror is held in place by a spring clip and it vibrates if the spring is a little slack. I managed to remove the mirror by sticking a small screwdriver in the top and releasing the clip and sliding it off. I then very carefully streached the spring a little - don't break it !!! - and replaced the mirror - Much Better.

The side mirror is held in plact by a rotating ring which you get at through a hole in the bottom of the mirror. Stick a screwdriver in a lever the ring around. If you go the right way you tighten the mirror, go the other way ad the glass falls out !!

Have fun,

Irish Driver
Old 10-30-2001, 01:13 PM
Eddie911
Track Day

OK, there are two holes on the bottom of the mirror. In one I can see wiring. In the other, I can't see much other than some runner and some plastic. Is this what you are talking about. I tried to turn it but with no luck. Can I get more specific directions please?? P.S. I have been monitoring this group for over a year since I bought my C4 and it is the best source of info on these cars. Thanks to all for your great input and assistance.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:53 AM
Eddie911
Track Day

Guys, this is frustrating. Someone must know how to fix this aside from replacing the mirror.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:49 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sorry Eddie,

I had to go to the garage and look at my car again. You had me confused when you said you had two holes in the bottom of the mirror.

There are two holes but one should have a plug of some sort in it. There is one near the hinge but forget about that one.

There is one in the center - about halfway from the tip of the mirror to the door and this is the one you need.

Inside that hole there is the ring for tightening the mirror. It is about 5cm (2 inches) in diameter but only about 0.5cm in hight. Looking through the hole you see the bottom of the ring and with a screwdriver you can only lever it a few degrees each time.

The best way to imagine it is to think of it as the same as the lid of a jar lying on its side. You need to turn the "jar lid" by levering through the hole.

This is the plastic you see in the hole. The side of the ring has raised bits for to lever against. It should move easy - particularly if the mirror is already loose.

Let us know if you get it sorted.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Hey Irishdriver, I thought your mirrors would have fallen off by now. Spending too much time sideways instead of going forwards,
See you in a couple of weeks.
The Irishdriver is the King of oversteer in a C4,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-02-2001, 01:06 PM
Eddie911
Track Day

Another day, another save from the guys at Rennlist. My mirror is erfect. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Shaking Mirror