Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was told my clutch is about to die, please need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005 | 04:59 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Default was told my clutch is about to die, please need opinions

hey guys, well since i bought my c2 all i have done is spend money, i didnt even drive it for more than 10 min.
its been at the shop for 2 weeks for this
1- reseal the valve cover because of massive leaking form them
2- new brake master cylinder (brakes were dead)
3- replace oil cooler hoses.
when i went today to check on it, the mechanic told me that the clutch is pretty much done and its just a matter of time

now, the clutch pedal is a little hard , but not bad at all, does not slip, BUT whe you press it you can hear a noise coming from the back (clutch i was told), more like a grinding noise. not 2 loud but its there. but if i press it multiple times it doesnt do it.
iam in a state of denial , and just cant afford a clutch job at this time.
does any of your clutchs make that noise, and if they do, or did, how long before they died.
thanks for your help
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Before you do a clutch job, bleed it... that could be part of the problem.

BTW, I like your avatar, is that also your car?
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:32 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

well they just replaced the brake master, so iam guessing they have to bleed all including the clutch??
not sure though. i will ask them tomorrow, otherwise i will do it my self.
is it hard to do ?? or to get to??
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mike_99l
hey guys, well since i bought my c2 all i have done is spend money
I thought THAT came with the territory!!! Sorry to hear about your troubles but it seems to be a malaise which affects many of us.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:39 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike_99l
well they just replaced the brake master, so iam guessing they have to bleed all including the clutch??
not sure though. i will ask them tomorrow, otherwise i will do it my self.
is it hard to do ?? or to get to??
Sorry... I missed that part... did they also replace the slave?? That is the one that usually goes bad/needs replacing.

Don't fell bad... what you have done reactively is less than what some of us have done proactively when we first purchased our cars...
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:42 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

First thing I did when I got the car was to replace all filters (oil, air, fuel), spark plugs, oil hoses (the one under the rear fender), valve adjustment, valve cover seals, belts, oil (Mobile 1 15/50), Ignition Rotors and caps, etc...

Just be glad is a C2 and not a C4... if you need a new clutch the work should be less expensive than on a C4. I think you do not have to drop the engine for a clutch change on the C2.

It helps to be able to do some of this work yourself... if you have to paid every time something needs to be done is hard on the wallet....
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:51 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I guess I missed your initial post when you got the car.... I went back and read some of the history on this... wow... talk about going thru a lot of work to bring the car up to spec... now I understand your pain... let us know how we can help. I am in the Orlando area... I know that is a good 4 hours away... but if there is anything we can help with be sure to ask.
Old 03-23-2005 | 06:55 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Find out if they bled the clutch slave cylinder. That should be done even if it wasn't replaced.
Old 03-23-2005 | 08:16 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would not be in a big hurry to replace the clutch, especially if it is not slipping. A little noise here and there is pretty standard for a 15 year old car. You could get a couple of years out of it if you drive carefully.
Old 03-23-2005 | 08:51 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

well thatnks a lot guys for the replies. no they didnt replace the slave, actually nothing clutch related.
only the brake master cylinder. iam guessing since the brakes and the clutch share the same fluid, it should necessary to bleed all. iam right????
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:56 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

You are mostly right. The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir for the fluid, but the slave cylinder must be bled separately. It's not terribly difficult to do, but for some guys it has made all the difference.
Brian
Old 03-24-2005 | 10:41 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto on Brian's comment. I bled the slave cylinder, and got black goo on the first couple of pumps. Bleeding the clutch cylinder is part of the standard service schedule, but it is often neglected. I have no doubt my cylinder still had the factory fill in it.

Clutch action is considerably improved after flushing out the old fluid.
Old 07-16-2005 | 02:49 AM
puma1824
Pro

I think I need to tag along this thread with my clutch questions. I just purchased a 1991 964 C4 w/94000 miles, wow still can't believe I bought a car this with this many miles, anyways, when I first test drove the car the clutch felt heavy, at least heavier than I was use to (2001 Audi S4), and inquired about the clutch to the existing owner. He had commented that he had the technician check it out when he did a 90K service. Tech supposedly said not needed yet. Anyways I still like the car so I proceeded with a PPI. Unfortunately I went with a garage near the seller since my normal garage (Turbo Performance Center in MD) was too far away. The PPI again reported nothing bad ACCEPT it took them over a week to FAX me a copy of the PPI report which was basically a few words like compression good, nothing bad, not those exact words but close. Anyways I finally picked up the car today the clutch felt really HEAVY. I don't want to immediately take it to my TPC b/c I already spent a ton of $$$ on the purchase. Would bleeding the clutch and/or replace the cylinder be the logical step? The clutch does not seem to be slipping.

I believe I had the guts to try an tackle my first Porsche DIY if I had enough guidance.

What do you guys think???

My reference material:
Rennlist
Adrian Streather's P911 Enthusiast's Companion

Thanks,
Puma
Old 07-16-2005 | 08:28 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Springer3 -- run with it for awhile -- I did ithe same thing with my 964, chased every noise and it cost me a few bucks. Unless the clutch is slipping, drive the car. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2005 | 09:10 AM
David P
Instructor

Yes clutches can be expensive on the 964, espcially the C4; as I have just found out (see 1 cent per 2 metres post)

DavidP

Quick Reply: was told my clutch is about to die, please need opinions