Sponsored by:

Bilstein HD Bump Stop Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Bilstein HD Bump Stop Question

I'm doing the Bilstein/H&R thing on my '90 C2 and have a question about the bump stops that mount on the rod of the shock to prevent damage if the shock is fully compressed. The rod on the original rear Boge shocks is a slightly larger diameter than the Bilstein. The Bilsteins do not come with a bump stop so I assume the originals can be re-used (the diagram that came with the Bilsteins indicates use of a bump stop but my German is not good enough to decipher if they indicate where it should come from). The problem is that because of the difference in diameter, the original bump stop does not grip the Bilstein shock rod to keep it at the top, it just sits at the bottom of the rod on the top of the shock housing.

This doesn't seem correct to me but I'm no expert. Does anyone who's done this project have any official word on this issue?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Regards,

Jim Grant
Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I did not do the install myself, but I looked at the paper work that came the the shocks, and I thought it said to re-use the existing bump stop, but you had to cut it down be a certain amount, depending on the application.

I would have to ask my wrench if he found that it was a loose fit over the shaft.

Sorry, but that paper work is long gone...perhaps someone still has it???

BGL
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks BGL,

Yes, I was a bit disappointed in the brevity of the English instructions that came with these expensive shocks. I also assume they expect you to re-use the original stops, but that does not address the questions about the impact of the stops no longer gripping the shock rod (I was told by a Porsche mechanic that they provide some cleaning function as well) or if there is any cut-down of length required.

Any other information from others who have done this update out there?

Thanks,

Jim G
Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did this installation I called the vendor and confirmed on the internet that Bilsteins (at least in this application) have internal bump stops and do not need the stock stops.
Bob K
1989 C4

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Bump Stop Question