Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your LWF cause problems?
Yes - stalling is a real problem
25.84%
Yes - niosy gearbox is a real problem
1.12%
Yes, but only very minor - easy to live with
47.19%
No - no problems at all!
25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

LWF Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWF Poll

Please only vote if you HAVE a LWF.

I want to judge the risk of problems to decide whether to go down this route...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

God, Tim, that was quick!

I hadn't even posted the poll!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Its soooo tempting (especially if as I am you are facing a clutch in the next 6 months anyway) but then there are the "issues" that we are all aware some people have experienced. Thanks John for getting the ball rolling.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Just dumb luck I logged on just as you posted
Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

I grew up in Stalybridge, so I know Cheshire quite well
Old 03-03-2005, 04:15 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well, you're right about the clutch thing - mine is getting rather too heavy at 70k miles.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have LWFs on both my 964 and 993. Acceleration in low gears (1 & 2) is noticeably improved. The 964 stalls on the street (even with a different chip), but as a track only car I don't car because I don't get into driving situations where stalling occurs. The 993 (a '95) was the same as stalling was a significant issue and a chip did not help. However, on the '95, you can adjust the ISV to pretty much eliminate the problem. I don't think you can do the same on the 964 (but I'm not sure).

Gearbox noise is an issue. It's louder at idle and, if you do something silly like try an accelerate while putt-putting along at 2k rpm, it will sound like a cement truck. I don't mind as it's a very real reminder to downshift and get to the rpms where you belong before accelerating.

In both cars it was amazing the change in the clutch effort - a real workout to depress the clutch before the change and like stepping into butter after the change. On the 964 changing the clutch master and slave had no significant effect on the pedal feel with the dual-mass FW.
Stalling occurs when you let out the clutch but (in my cars) at at 2k rpm or more. The computer doesn't "catch" the rapid drop in revs and the car stalls. Usually it's easy to re-start by simply popping the clutch. You can minimize the stalling by modification of your driving style (as in don't depress the clutch until below 1500 rpm). However, old farts like I am with 30+ years of driving find it hard to change driving style. The ISV adjustment was a great fix for the 993.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

OK. Thanks for the frankness Tom. Can I ask you whose chip (on the 964)? I ask becasue obviously one of the contenders is Evo and they believe (as you are no doubt aware) that their GIAC chip clutch/LWF package cures the stalling? But this may be not entirely the case, I certainly am not disputing their statement, as I have no experience. I just would like to see if others can endorse it.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a LWF (MWF) in my 90 C2. The previous owner had it put in, and also a chip, and the car was awful. Part of my purchase price included replacing the LWF. I ended up sending the LWF to Andial, and they added weight, making it a Medium Weight Flywheel. No stalling since. There is a bit of noise, but since I have a secondary muffler bypass, the transmission noise isn't very noticable.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 993 has a GIAC chip from Rennsport Systems (which didn't help). My 964 has a chip sourced from Fabspeed - I'm not sure where Joe gets his stuff done - and it hasn't made much difference either.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am interested in this. My clutch is due for renewal & I'm considering the RS clutch & LWF. I've got Air Con in my car & have heard that this can amplify the stalling problem. It'd be good to hear some first hand knowledge of this & what people have done to solve it.

Is there a happy medium between the DMF & the LWF that can be bought off the shelf?

Andy
Old 03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a LWF and must say that the improvement in gear change and acceleration in 1st and 2nd was incredible. The car feels so much lighter. I didīnt have any problems in the beginning, but I now have some stalling problems, but mainly when the engine is cold. When the engine is cold I drive it very carefully anyway and do what Tom said, donīt release the clutch until you are below 1500rpm.

Could it be an issue (this is only a teory) that exhaust changes may also inflict on this, as this may decrease the engines resistance?

I am getting a new chip this spring that can calculate for the changes I have made to the engine and exhaust, as I think that may solve it. Wouldīnt think that the original RS has this problem, and that uses a different chip.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 AM
964_C2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tim Sawyer
.........one of the contenders is Evo and they believe (as you are no doubt aware) that their GIAC chip clutch/LWF package cures the stalling? ......

It sort of "helps" BUT the only way to cure the stalling is by driver input: NOT fully depress the clutch when the engine is above 2K rpm. Its kind of exciting to have the car stall in the middle of a high speed corner (power steering goes bye bye). When the A/C is on its worse.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Chris 911
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Not fully depress the clutch when the engine is above 2krpm??? Would this mean that you are constantly slipping the clutch a little bit? Then I would have to say that I have never had the car stall over 2 k rpm when I have been on the throttle with a LWF. The problem I have is mostly stopping for red lights etc if I press the clutch over 2k, when the rev drops it tends to shut down, but mostly when cold. Almost never, or very rarely when warm.

When cold when the revs drop very fast then the engine sometimes try to pic it up, the rev response is very fast with the LWF, and it sometimes drop so quickly that the engine canīt pick it up, so it stalls. This is at least what it seems like. But this is only when it tries to pick up idle from 500rpm and 1500rpm, and then drops. Sometimes below 500rpm, where the engine stalls

Quick Reply: LWF Poll