Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your LWF cause problems?
Yes - stalling is a real problem
25.84%
Yes - niosy gearbox is a real problem
1.12%
Yes, but only very minor - easy to live with
47.19%
No - no problems at all!
25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

LWF Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Question Can I get a copy

BudTaylorUS at yahoo

LWF goes in next week...

Anyone have any thoughts on how necessary the fork upgrade is ? At an additional 400 beens p/l it seems expensive...

Originally Posted by Tom W
Garrett: The ISV adjustment came from a post a couple years ago on the 993 board by David ("993,951,944" on Rennlist) with additional input from "tom_993". I've pulled it all together and put it into a MS Word DIY document - that I provided to John D when he did his LWF install. If anyone wants a copy, I'll be happy to provide it.

One difference with the 964 vs 993 is you can adjust the idle on a 964 at the throttle cable. That has been done to my car and does improve/reduce the stalling. As I said, I haven't had any issues with the 4 track days I've had since the LWF install a few weeks ago, but I may try the ISV adjustment if I have any problems.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I am dealing with this: LWF + AC on a warm day(85Deg+).. Aftermarket (autothority) chip and MAF
Autothority wimped out and remapped the fuel and ignition timing for their MAF but didn't bother changing the actual AFM load tables (which is one of the reasons why they never ran properly) so for me to do this properly I would need to modify the data from the chip that you're running. If I just sent you an eprom with basically stock calibration data it might cause more problems than you have now. So if you send me your chip I could modify it and send it back the next day.

Originally Posted by Red Rooster
I did not see the two year difference !
The same thing has caught me out a few times. I type up a response and then notice the thread was from three years prior.

The RS chip does not run in a std 964 DME so hence my question !
Any idea why? I diff'ed a cup image (911.618.124.03 : 0-261-200-450 -- pulled from a cup car) with a regular 964 and then walked line-by-line through a disassembly but didn't notice anything that would prevent the rom image from starting the engine.

The RS was not wonderful for idle stalling either !Needed all the usual software updates .
Adrian warned me about that the same thing so I stopped pursuing the elusive RS rom image. Although I would still like to take a look at one, eventually.

Originally Posted by SuperUnknown
t seems as though our friends on the other side of the pond have more problems then we do over here.
Electrical load on the alternator (seemed to me) to be the biggest predictor of problems.

Originally Posted by Smokin
I do have a Hall Sensor code that keeps coming up and have not had the time to track it down yet. That may be a contributing part of my stalling issue... I don't know. I'll be getting to that in the next few weeks.
I'm 14-1 with solving this thing so yes you need to get your hall sensor problem fixed. When I pull the pins from the hall sensor connector I have the same stalling problem as you, so I have been able to recreate the issue. The one other thing you'll notice after you fix your problem is that the engine will go back to running sequential fuel injection from batch mode and put out a little more horsepower.

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Anyone have any thoughts on how necessary the fork upgrade is ?
If you have a 964 or 993 then it is a solution looking for a problem.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

So Jason, are you ready to work on my chip if I send it to you? Remember lots of engine mods and a modded chip already. Runs like a scalded cat so don't want to lose any of that.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
So Jason, are you ready to work on my chip if I send it to you? Remember lots of engine mods and a modded chip already. Runs like a scalded cat so don't want to lose any of that.
If the chip that you just bought doesn't work 100% then sure, absolutely I will mod your existing software to help get your car running properly. Otherwise I'm not sure if it really makes any sense for me to do so?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Poll Results

Anyone have an update on the poll results ?

The RS came with the lwf but did it also come with a different exhaust and Chip ?

It would be interesting to know from the folks who have had idle issues if they changed their:

Exhaust
Airbox
Chip

Certainly they would not have sold a new RS that did not idle. Did the RS come with a different exhaust ? I realize there was an AC delete but minus that you would have to think it would idle new from the factory.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Jack667
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not sure if I already posted to this thread, but I can see that I answered the poll with the 3rd choice.

I have the RS clutch + LWF, B&B dual-outlet muffler MDS (?) with K&N cone, and Andial chip. IIRC, I got the exhaust and chip at the same time, and Jerry at EPE near Boston drilled my airbox, all at the same time. I got the clutch and LWF later, after the flywheel broke at Watkins Glen. My wife and I were co-driving the car, backto-back at a DE weekend.

Back on-topic, I'm not sure that the chip takes the LWF into account. I never stall the car unless I blow a launch, usually from being distracted. However, most people (valets, mechanics, etc) don't do so well with the car bc they're not used to it. Also, even I have trouble keeping it from stalling when the AC is going.

A different mechanic in Boston - Kevin at Randolph Racing, did some mod to the fuel system to dump more fuel in and that seemed to help, but that was a long time ago...

Not sure if any of this info is relevant to your situation - probably not - but I had a few mins to kill and thought I'd post my experience...

Lastly - the LWF is awesome. The car spins up very nicely and seems to have more power. I've had a chance to go back to stock due to a starter-related flywheel problem, but I would never give up my LWF, so all the new parts that went in were the same - RS clucth and LWF

Quick Reply: LWF Poll