Engine temp.sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 10:10 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Engine temp.sensor

High,
anybody have an idea to where the engine temp.sensor is located(picture maybe?) and how easy it is to change? possibally u could provide me with a part# and price too?, is normal for one to quit working after some time?say 10 yrs.
Thanx, Geo
Old 09-11-2001, 04:14 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Geo
The engine temp sensor is located on the driver side of the engine, it is mounted to cylinder head #3. It is angled toward to front of the car. You need a special socket that has a window cut out of it so the sensor lead can pass through while turning the sensor. The part number is 930 606 013 02. for engine models M64.01/02/03. There has been a supersession to a updated number. Sorry, but its a start. My old Porsche pricebook show a list price of $97.00 as of early '99. If you can do a valve adjust, you can change this sensor. And yes they do fail over time. I have replaced them if I have to do a clutch, because it is right there.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:02 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I recommend you confirm the engine temp sensor has failed before you change it. It is a Thermistor. A NTC version. Resistance is high when cold and low when hot.
Pull the connector off the sensor. Grab a multimeter, select ohms and measure the resistance. The heat it up, maybe using a hair dryer. Hot water anything. The resistance should drop.
If this snesor is kaput you should have starting problems. If it is shorted you will have problems when the engine is cold and if it is open circuit or very high resistance all the time you will have trouble starting when the engine is hot.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Engine temp.sensor