Sponsored by:

C2 or late 80's 3.2 Carrera??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 09:25 PM
Jason Barnett
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post C2 or late 80's 3.2 Carrera??

I am new to this board and looking for a little advice from current 90-94 C2 owners. I was set on a late 80's carrera (because of the reputation for the bulletproof engine, performance etc...)but would love to have a C2 if I could afford to have it maintained properly. I have already found a great shop here in socal, so I feel good from that standpoint. My question is 3.6 engine and the car in general as reliable as the older carreras. I own virtually every book written about 911's but, I can't seem to find this info. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay
Old 09-04-2001, 12:56 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jay:

I used to own an '86 Carrera and I now have a '90 C2. I feel the 3.6 is an excellent engine. It's probably just as bulletproof as the earlier engines. Yes, there are a few trouble spots (flywheel and distributor belt) and an overblown problem that seems to degrade the early 964 motors (cylinder to head leaks). Flywheels and distributor vent kits can be replaced and installed and the 'famous' motor leaking doesn't seem to be very widespread.

There are many contributors to this board who own 964s that have many trouble free miles on their cars. The 964 is a much more complex car than the previous 3.2 Carreras, so you would expect more potential problems to crop up. The 3.2's are simpler and are easier to work on for the DIY crowd.

All of these cars are getting old and most are over 10 yrs old by now. Stuff WILL break on an older 911 no matter what year you buy. The only 911 that won't cost you any money to fix is a 996 with a full factory warranty. But, that certainly shouldn't discourage you from buying a 911.

The 3.2 Carreras and the 964's are two totally different 911's. The 3.2's are still pretty raw performance cars and the 964 has quite a bit more technology and refinement. After I drove a 964 for the first time, I was hooked on the 247 hp and 228 ft lbs and had to have one. But I still miss my simple 3.2 Carrera and all it's wonderful sounds and feel... Drive both to see what YOU really like the most.

Hope this helps a little,
Jay
90 964
Old 09-04-2001, 01:59 AM
Jason Barnett
2nd Gear

Jay H,

Your insight on my dilema is really appreciated especially since you've owned both cars I'm considering. I guess your right, I'll just have to drive the 964 to compare. I don't know if I can do without that loud whine the older 3.2's make! Anyhow, thanks again for the advice Jay.

Jay B
Old 09-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jason,

Like Jay, I had a 3.2L Carrera ('84) before I bought my '91 C2. A test drive of the '91 knocked my socks off, and I had to have it. Fabulous power, incredible brakes!

Remember, the 964 knocked 0.6s off the 0-60 mph time, as compared to the previous generation 3.2L Carrera. 0.6s is significant and tangible.

I also appreciate the modern comfort and safety features of the 964.

I do think it's safe to assume the 964 will cost you more to maintain than a 3.2 Carrera. Twice as many spark plugs, caps/rotors, HVAC that works but is more complicated, ABS, air bags, power steering, more electronics in general. These are also all the things that make the car faster, safer and more comfortable, but they come with a price.

Like Jay, I think the one thing I miss most about my '84 is the sound of the engine. When I first bought the '91, my biggest gripe was how quiet the car was. Then again, a 964 is loud in comparison to a 993.

Incidentally, I purchased my '91 down in your neighborhood, at Pioneer Centre. Also used to take my car for service at The Black Forest (great service, reasonable prices), until I couldn't tolerate the drive any longer.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:21 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Jason

I've been fortunate to own a number of cars from the 911 family, including a 1981 SC and a 1986 930 Turbo, and now I have a 1991 C2. As Randall pointed out the 964 brings a lot to the table and by definition it is marginally more expensive to maintain, if comparing apples to apples, i.e. cars that are similar in condition, prior use and total miles. Like you I was on a mission to find a 1987 to 1989 porsche when I stumbled over the 1991 C2. It is a real treat to drive in any conditions.

I noticed you are on the other coast and I am sorry.... I have put my 1991 C2 up for sale in the last month. It is a great example with just 29,000 miles, perfect condition in and out, service records and a warranty covering the engine and transmission. However, if you have an interest drop me a line.

Good Luck

Berkley

Quick Reply: C2 or late 80's 3.2 Carrera??