Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 02:28 AM
davey/89 C4
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool a few questions...

I just bought my 89 964 and I love it!
Just a few questions...

1) Does anyone else have a problem w/ leaking oil being swept onto the back of the car and leaving little droplets/film on rear lid? If yes, how didi you solve it? (The leakes are not that bad and don't wanna troubleshoot every little leak)

2) Does anyone else seem to have a "cricket" in their dashboard? Mine makes a weird sqeaking noise when warmed up, which goes away when I turn the fan on at least "2".

3) What mechanics can recommend in the SF bay area? (san francisco, oakland, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2001, 04:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

The little cricket is either the bearings in the LH Blower fan which is quite common after all these years or the control unit temp sensor fan which will run from power up and stay running for between 2 and 20 minutes after power is removed and the 964 shut down. Depends where you live and what demands you have put on the system.
If the fault is the blower fan, which I think it is, you might try and lubricate the bearing with some gaphite grease. You will need a long needle device to get into the bearing. If this does not work then you will have to change the blower fan.
Oil leaks, there are heaps of threads on this subject. Clean the engine first completely, use some talcum powder and try to see where it stains up first.
Cannot help with SF.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 09-04-2001, 01:54 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

In S.F., the Stable is generally considered the best mechanics. They service 911s only. Allen, who runs the place, is a very nice guy. However, depending on your problem, it can take a while to get an appointment.

Frank at Auto Sport Haus in S.F. also has a good reputation and did a great PPI on a car that, at his suggestion, I'm happy I didn't buy.

I have also heard good things about Aldo's in downtown S.F., but have never used him.

Pacific Motors(?) in S.F. has the reputation of turning minor things into a big deal.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 09-04-2001, 03:53 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jon,

Do people in S.F. go through clutches especially fast, will all the crazy, steep hills you have in your city?

If there was ever a city that might drive me to owning an automatic, it would be S.F. Whenever I visit, I'm always amazed how other drivers still get on my *** when I come to a stop at the top of a hill (looking up at the sky)--as if they have no clue how likely it is for a manual transmission car to roll backwards on such an incline. Suppose as a non-local I'm a novice, but I often have to use my emergency brake while launching just to keep from rolling into the **** behind me.

Oh, and I love S.F. ... burning clutch, not withstanding .

Quick Reply: a few questions...