Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Belt Has Failed (sigh) Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 07:44 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post My Belt Has Failed (sigh) Now what?

I used a timing light and verifed my distributor belt has indeed, expired. No vent kit is installed. FYI, car is a '91 C4 wiht 48k miles.

Somewhere here recently, I read where you can buy a rebuilt unit and exchange your old one. So, on with the questions...

(1)I have average mechanical skill...what kind of job is it to Remove & Replace the distributor? I looked it over, and I'm sure I can remove it okay, but getting the new one back it and properly timed with the rest of the engine seems a bit tricky...suggestions are welcome.

(2) Can some kind soul recommend a place to buy a rebuilt distributor that is ready to go and drops right in?

(3) Where can I get the vent kit? Porsche dealer the only source?
Old 08-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Okay, I found it:

Repairs

Looks easy enough...I think I'll give it a shot. Any hints are welcome.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:38 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Robert,

Another alternative is to send it to Steve at Rennsport and have him rebuilt it. $150.

Drew
92 C2
Old 08-29-2001, 08:53 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Robert,

Sorry to hear about your belt. As I've posted under "Brake Rotor (Disc) and Pad Change," my mechanic charged me 3 hours labor + parts for replacing the distributor belt in my car.

I like the idea of sending the distributor to Steve W.--$150 is a bargain, and you know it's being done right. But if you're like me, you won't be able to tolerate waiting while it gets shipped back and forth.

Do you think the belt was broken already when you bought the car, or did it just happen?
Old 08-29-2001, 10:27 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

I'm 99% sure the belt was broken when I bought the car. I thought the car ran pretty good, but, having only driven an '86 and a '73, I had little to compare. I've had a chance to put almost 800 miles on the car, and I can tell now there is a bit of a miss or hesitation.

I will remove the distributor and ship it out to be rebuilt with a new belt, and, of course, install a vent kit.

Sure, it stinks, but hey, it's a 10-year old used car, and I knew it didn't have the vent kit installed when I bought it. I fully expect other problems will crop up, but I'm confident after all the wrinkles have been smoothed, I'll be quite happy with the car. Besides, I do enjoy wrenching now and then; it is a great break from my desk job (see below).
Old 08-29-2001, 11:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Robert:

A vent kit can be purchased from Porsche for about $12.80. The part number for the vent kit is P000-043-202-52. It's really nothing more than a plastic tube and some grommets. I believe you can get this kit from various popular mail order places too.

It may take a short while and a few miles to get your 'new to you' 911 all sorted out, but keep the faith. You'll love you 911 in the long run!

Good luck!

Jay
90 964
Old 08-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Robert,

As I just finished telling apw964 ... there is an upside of sorts. You thought the car ran strong before? You're going to be in for a treat after the belt is repaired .
Old 08-30-2001, 12:42 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Robert,
Sorry to hear you have a problem so soon into your new car! Anyway there is a long thread on the Pelican 964 page you may want to check. Lots of advice/experience with the belt, It looks like pulling it and sending it off to Steve is probably your best bet, there are several who did. If you're handy you could try it yourself there is a web page listed as well. Randall is right, this thing will haul when firing on all 12...a small sliver of silver in that cloud.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:35 AM
apw964
Instructor

Hey Robert - I have the same problem - I decided to get my service guys to do the job, they told me $25 parts and $250 labour. I couldn't wait to have the dist shipped of either :-). I get my car back next wednesday and based on what some people have said I'm in for a treat when I get my car back.

What actually made me realize my car was underperforming was a drive I had last w/e in a subaru WRX - It wouldn't off blown my C4 off of the road
Old 08-31-2001, 12:24 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Rennsport will update my distributor for $150, including a vent kit. Steve also said they will update the bearing ($65) if one is needed.

Zim in Texas will sell me a rebuild distributor for $450 (with a $475 core charge).

So, even if my distributor needs a bearing, I'll still save at least $235. I think I can park the car for 10 days or so for that kind of money.

Thanks again to all who replied, and I will be VERY anxious to drive the car with 12 firing spark plugs!
Old 08-31-2001, 04:42 PM
John Miles
Pro

For a short cut tip on fitting the vent kit see the instructions on my Technical page.
www.porsche964.co.uk

John
Old 09-04-2001, 03:57 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Finally got the garage cleared out enough to get the P-car inside. Set the parking brake, and got to work on removing the distributor.

I have to tell you folks, it was a pure pleasure working on a car again (I've been driving and maintaining full-size vans for the past 10 years). I got the (heater?) duct work out easily, but the Phillips screws on each distributor cap had to be convinced (via the air ratchet and a 6"-long Phillips driver) to see the light of day. Once the caps were off, I gave the left side rotor a twist and felt it turn easily. Yep. Dead belt. I had to pull three of the wires off the shaft-driven side cap to make room to remove the distributor. I used a laundry marker to mark the shaft-driven rotor button's location, removed the 13mm nut, gave a slight tug, and out she came. All-in-all, pretty straight-forward stuff. Closer inspection revealed the belt was "whole" but missing 1/2 dozen teeth.

Today, the FedEx man picked up the distributor and got it on the way to Steve @ Rennsport. Who, by the way, will ship it back to me 3rd-day express. So, with any luck, my car will only be parked a week or so. Not too bad.

I am off today to get new caps and rotors, as the old ones look original and worn (48k miles). What's a good source for caps/rotors besides my local dealer?
Old 09-04-2001, 04:11 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sunset Imports just started (or I just noticed) advertising in Excellence magazine, "All parts cost + 15% + shipping." Might be hard to beat ... I've already ordered a few odds & ends at prices I thought weren't possible:

http://www.sunsetimports.com/hours.htm
Old 09-05-2001, 12:17 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

They quoted me "cost plus 15%" which works out to $47.25 for the cap and $18.16 for the rotor times 2 equals $130.82 + shipping ($10?) so I'd be out $140!

Shocking (pardon the pun).

You know, the old caps and rotors could be cleaned up a bit...maybe a light sanding of the contacts

Quick Reply: My Belt Has Failed (sigh) Now what?