Sponsored by:

H4s Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:35 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post H4s Installed

Spent yesterday afternoon installing a new set of H4 headlamps, replacing the H5 units. I also used Sylvania Siverstar bulbs, which provide a somewhat whiter and possibly brigher light. Becasue I am running the lamps without relays (YET!), I got the 55/60 watt bulbs. Also used the headlight adapter plugs from AJUSA.

Note for those thinking about similar coversion, the existing wiring goes to the same relative postions on the plugs, i.e., brown to left terminal, yellow to top center terminal, and white to right terminal. I check the circuit with a meter to confirm.

Still trying to get the proper adjustment on the lamps - interesting difference from the H5s; with the H4s, where there is light, it is brigher, but there are interesting dark areas directly in front of the car and between the lamps. I think I need to bring them more closely together. Will continue to tinker before I put the trim rings on.

Chuck
93 C2
Old 05-05-2003, 11:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Chuck,
I am considering doing the same on my 94.
Did you have to buy new trim rings when switching from H5 to H4's? (I am trying to avoid having to purchase/paint new rings if I can)
Where did you buy the H4's?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 AM
scupper
Racer

Lewis - yes, I purchased new trim rings - actually I purchased two sets - the first from AJUSA, which were primered. But I found another set on Rennlist classifieds that were already painted guards red. I just sold the first set on EBAY -

I purchased the lamps from a supplier on EBAY working out of Canada - But if I had to do it again, I would probably just go ahead and purchase from a US supplier. I know that AJ carries them, as do other suppliers.

Other than soldering the leads, it's a very easy swap. I think more important is wiring in a set of relays - but that will be a bit more difficult, running the wiring from the relays to the bucket.

Chuck
Old 05-05-2003, 01:10 PM
shaker71
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With proper prep the relay conversion takes an afternoon. I got my parts from Daniel Stern Lighting. Nice quality stuff! Use 12ga wire. I used the right headlamp wiring to fire my relays and it worked great.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 AM
scupper
Racer

Shaker - where did you mount your relays? And where did you tap into the power for the high current side with the 12 gauge wire, at the battery? Or some place else? Also, I assume you used 12 gauge "stranded" wire and not 12 gauge solid core wire. Correct? The solid is terribly stiff. Ask me how I know. And one last question, did you place an inline fuse(s) on the high current side?

I want to tackle this job soonest.

Chuck
93 C2
Old 05-06-2003, 04:58 PM
shaker71
Instructor

Scupper,

Mounted relays in trunk opposite license plate. Ran 12ga "strand" wire directly off the battery with in-line fuses.

Pulled the right side headlight wiring back into the trunk using the existing rubber boot. Ran all wiring as short as possible to prevent voltage drop. Hella relays have two positive posts so you can run both beams off one relay. One relay for high beams and one for low beams. Got the parts from Daniel Stern in Canada; these parts are extremely high quality. The kit cost about $50US. Bought the 130/100 watt bulbs and retrofitted 7" E-Cibie lights into Porsche 356 buckets using the Hella clear glass lens. The light pattern is well defined and far reaching. You'd have a tough time out driving these. Also installed city lights option. So, I can drive with low output lights on in congested areas. Places yellow lights in the city light spot in the front of the bucket; and it looks really neat. Used the original trim rings and made mods to accept adjustment.

Bill
Old 05-07-2003, 12:04 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker

Do you happen to have any pictures of your headlight setup? It sounds interesting.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:00 PM
shaker71
Instructor

Don't know how to post pictures. I'll Email you.

Bill
Old 05-07-2003, 01:02 PM
shaker71
Instructor

AK,

You're Email is Private and I can't send you pictures without the address.

Bill
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
benzyne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does the headlight wiring enter the trunk? I've just spend an hour underneath the wheel wells looking, and the wiring seems to go towards the center of the car, out of sight.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ben
Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ben,

In the front trunk, it is the front wiring bundle on the left side in the first picture (right behind the hose from the intensive washer bottle) and the bottom bundle on the right side in the lower picture (right below the battery vent tube).

Marc
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: H4s Installed