Sponsored by:

Air bag and seat belt light stay on

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
sgrisanti
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag and seat belt light stay on

I was told that I would have to replace the entire clock unit @ $459.00. I really don't want to spend that amount on a clock that works, however, the lights annoy me. Can I just disconnect the two lights, or has anyone replaced the unit, for less?

Is the solution of replacing the entire clock the correct advice?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:22 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Do a search as there are several threads on this. Also, John's 964 UK site; http://www.porsche964.co.uk/; has a procedure to fix the problem by taking the clock apart and checking the traces. After either fixing or replacing the clock you'll still need to find someone with a Bosch Hammer to reset the computer. if anyone knows another way I'd like to know it as well. I'm going to be putting AJ USA's three spoke wheel and airbag combo into my car soon.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

How about finding the fault first!
I am reading some of these posts and sitting here shaking my head. Some people must be loaded with cash to replace all this stuff.
The airbag and seat belt lights are telling you the airbag control unit has picked up a fault.
Yes it could be caused by the clock but it can be caused by a failure in the airbag system.
The crash sensor connectors are very common and easily fixed.
You need to drive along to your nearest garage with a Bosch Hammer. Have them hook it up to the diagnostic port and see what fault codes it comes up with.
Then you get them to reset the fault.
If you are considering removing the light bulbs and driving around in a car with a disabled airbag system and hiding it instead of fixing it maybe you should reconsider your ownership of such a car.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the actual fault codes, if you can.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:31 PM
raleigh5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
How about finding the fault first!
If you are considering removing the light bulbs and driving around in a car with a disabled airbag system and hiding it instead of fixing it maybe you should reconsider your ownership of such a car.
kinda harsh conclusion dont ya think? sure, it is almost always preferable to make the proper repair(s). but we drove many cars for many years before air bags, seat belts, and padded dashboards were included. i dont think any of my motorcycles have airbags.......yet
Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same problem and my mechanic found no faults with the hammer. Says he's seen it on a number of cars and the fault is with soldered connections within the clock. He's had good experience with having these faulty connections re-soldered so this is the route I'll be taking. The car is for sale so I'm just hoping that whomever buys the car recognizes that it was properly cared for
Old 02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by raleigh5
kinda harsh conclusion dont ya think? sure, it is almost always preferable to make the proper repair(s). but we drove many cars for many years before air bags, seat belts, and padded dashboards were included. i dont think any of my motorcycles have airbags.......yet
Not at all because I have had to help many 964 owners who have purchased cars with these problems with the warning systems disabled.
When somebody says they are just going to disable the warning system instead of fixing the fault it also usually means they are going to sell the car in the same condition at some time.
If you cannot afford to repair the car or just do not want to repair the car then you should reconsider owning one because maintenance on any Porsche does not come cheap.
At least keep a running score of all the faults and what was done to cover them up and be prepared to pass on to any potential purchaser.
Who will run away very quickly or ask for a 50% discount
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Kinda like taking the batteries out of the smoke detector 'cause it is keeping you awake at night rather than go look to see if there really is a fire!

Marc
Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am with Adrian on this one. The diagnostic system is highly interconnected, and patchwork repairs cause problems troubleshooting other areas. For one thing, if you pull the bulb on the airbag warning, the ! (master) warning light must be reset every time the car is started. If you disable that, you risk missing a warning for things that are very expensive to fix and possibly dangerous as well.

It makes economic sense to fix it properly. Watch the best buyers run for cover as soon as they hear about patchwork repairs. Honest disclosure of known defects has to be better for resale than attempts to cover up a problem that any competent PPI will uncover.

Quick Reply: Air bag and seat belt light stay on