Sponsored by:

When it goes bang bang bang !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When it goes bang bang bang !!!

Hi guys, a brief update, the car was recovered to Camtune, Surrey last night, and todays telephone conversation with David is not good. We were hoping the 'banging' noise was the duel-mass flywheel, but it 'ain't. It is big end bearing, number three. They are in the process of stripping down the engine for a more detailed assessment.
Prior to instructing Camtune, I spoke to probably every independent garage, some were fantastic in their manner and advice, some were bl**dy appalling. It would appear that a number of 964's are 'allegedly' suffering with big end failures, it's been suggested that fully synthetic could be responsible, and a semi- or traditional, thicker, heavier oil would be better. At this point I can offer no opinion of my own, but am keenly awaiting news from David at Camtune. Watch this space. Cheers. Raymond. (The Worcester Park)
Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this.

I'm surprised that you say a number of 964s are suffering from this (although I noticed the quotes around allegedly!). Which independents told you that? I don't think I've heard of that happening before - and I've been on rennlist 3 years.

The only time I've heard of it is on Mel's cup car - and that's a bit different.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:13 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Would prefer not to name names, however, they are in the midlands, and break a lot of cars. We, Corinne and I, went to Camtune yesterday, met the mechanic, Dan, who took us into the engine room, and there it was, in pieces.
Bearing number 3 was destroyed. The crank has gone for testing and X ray, if ok they will machine/polish it. There is a little damage to the base of cylinder number 3, but this will machine out. Replace bearings, oil pump (full of swarf) and top end health check. The flywheel is good, the clutch will be replaced, along with a gear box oil seal that is weeping.
I have to say, I was surprised at how clean the internals were.
Those of you who heard the noise, that was the piston hitting the head. Not a nice thought.
Fingers crossed, and wallet at the ready.
Cheers. Raymond
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Christer
Race Car

Well.....whilst you are in there why not do some other stuff....he he

It didn't sound good but still...this way you get a new car back. BTW, the crank is V expensive if you need a new one....
Old 02-10-2005, 11:02 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Thanks Christer, Corinne says 'hi'.
Mmmmm, have thought of that, have really thought of that. but, no. will keep it as is, previously 'chipped' at JZ when they fitted a cat by-pass, I'm going to replace the exhaust pipe under the rear off-side wing, when I find out what it's called. (how about exhaust pipe Corinne asked).
Best Wishes
Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Raymond, sorry to hear the bad news...

I am VERY surprised by the comment made about the oil by Camtune, as they carried out my last service and used FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL???!!!???!!!???
(ps, thats a G-Pipe under the wheelarch...)
Old 02-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi back at you both. Its probably a wise decision not to go crazy (maybe I am just trying to drag you down with me..)

On the subject of the bottom end of the engine, I think this is entirely plausible now that the cars are getting so old. I mean they have to go at some stage right? That is why I would recommend that if you have a top end rebuild done, get the bottom part done as well. Its not that much more - say £500 for labour and maybe £200 for parts tops...say £1000 as a round number. Its worth doing because it is definitely going to happen sooner or later. Actually, now I think about it, I didn't actually change my oil pump whilst my engine was in bits (they are very expensive though)....ok, ok I am niot going to worry, I am not going to worry...doh!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:49 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

To avoid confussion, it wasn't Camtune who reccomended the semi-oil, they swear by fully synthetic, and having spoken to them at great length, I would go with their reccomendations for anything.
G Pipe, thanks. Must get one, I'm sure they would fit it for me.
Christer, don't worry. my engine had more swarf than bearing. I'm worrying about the costs now.... ok, ok I am niot going to worry, I am not going to worry...doh!

Quick Reply: When it goes bang bang bang !!!