Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Turbo Look "kits" for 964...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:02 AM
PiL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aftermarket Turbo Look "kits" for 964...

If I come across a non-factory Turbo Look 964, what should I look out for? Which kits are better(steel, fiber glass)? Or, is a non-factory TL something I should avoid? I really want the look of the wide rear fenders, I am just afraid that I won't be able to find or maybe even afford a Factory M-491 964.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:30 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple places in the SoCal area can do the conversion for roughly $7K-10K, dependent on the quality of the paint job. Fenders would be steel and I believe the only bumpers are fiberglass. You would also need new wider wheels and tires as well.

You probably will not see the value of your car go up because of the conversion and in fact, it could go down.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful - lots of wrecked cars have been converted to turbo look while being repaired.

To answer your questions, steel is better. The better conversions will consist of butt-welded rear flares (or complete, factory steel rear quarter panels) and complete, factory steel flared front fenders. The front and rear bumper covers and side sill panels will be made of fiberglass.

Avoid fiberglass conversions - the joining point between the flare and the metal eventually cracks due to the different expansion/contraction rates of steel and fiberglass. Also beware of some of those California conversions shops that frequent ebay - they tend to sell really old 911's that have been tarted up to look good, but still have circa 1976 running gear.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Turbo Look "kits" for 964...