Tire sizes on 7J x 17'' Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Tire sizes on 7J x 17'' Rims

My tires are approaching the time to be renewed & I am considering mounting 215x45x17 on my 7" rims in an attempt to reduce understeer. Will these fit or will I need spacers?

Andy
Old 07-12-2003, 11:10 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes - a 215 will fit on a 7" wide rim. I just went DOWN a size from a 225 to a 215. The 225" were rubbing up front when I would hit a pothole or otherwise fully compress the suspension.

You've got a C4 like I do. I would strongly recommend that you replace your rear sway bar with a 21mm sway bar (part# 964.33.701.07 I believe) A thicker rear sway bar will transfer more load to the front tires. It won't make the understeer go away, but it's a big step in the right direction. Search the Rennlist archives - for more details.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:19 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

I have 215/45/17 tires on the front of my '91 c2 - they fit fine - no rubs. C4's are probably different, but Terry doesn't seem to be having aby problem with them.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys! 215's it is then!

Is fitting the sway bar an easy job to do? Expensive? Will I need a geometry check afterwards?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Andy Roe:
<strong>Is fitting the sway bar an easy job to do? Expensive?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It's a relative inexpensive job. I think I spent something like under $250 for the parts. When you place your order at the parts counter, you'll also need two new rubber bushings - your old sway won't fit the new bar's diameter.

Is it easy - yes, if you have the right tools. I climbed under the car with the best of intentions but couldn't get the bolts on the drop links to budge! I tried everything in my amateur garage to no avail. I tossed the sway bar in the back seat and took it to the shop with me when I went to have my new tires mounted.

I had a moment of smug satisfaction watching their mechanic struggle to break those drop link bolts loose. It didn't last long though - he had all the proper tools and wasn't about to be slowed down for any fidety bolt! He grabbed an air gun, cranked the pressure up and broke it loose. 10 minutes later, the new sway bar was on.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Andy Roe:
<strong>Will I need a geometry check afterwards?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I asked the same exact question, and the answer is, NO!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:04 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<strong>Thanks guys! 215's it is then!

Is fitting the sway bar an easy job to do? Expensive? Will I need a geometry check afterwards?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Andy

The rear sway bar off my C2 should be perfect for you. Let me know.

p.s. I can confirm you don't need geometry done.

Quick Reply: Tire sizes on 7J x 17'' Rims