Sponsored by:

Changing steering rack boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Doug Leavitt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Changing steering rack boots

I need to change the rubber boots on my steering rack as they are currently split. I know I'll need an alignment after the fact but how hard is the actual replacement? Any pointers, procedures or helpful hints? Do I need any special tools?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Doug
90 C4 Cab
Dublin, OH USA
Old 08-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Taj
Racer

Hi Doug,

Just done this so here are the two pages of the manual that were the most useful.

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Tajmanual1.gif" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Tajmanual1.gif</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/tajmanual2.gif" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/tajmanual2.gif</a>

The other this I would say is use washing up liquid to get the new boots on. If you tighten any locknuts against the rack shafts, then hold the shafts with a wrench to prevent tensioning/twisting the rack as I did, which results in stiff steering. I have done any earlier post on stiff steering for more info.

Remove the track end from the hub if you can, but you will need a ball joint seperator. I did not have one, and had to take it apart at the adjusting rod. As per the manual, the orientation of the fork is important, although I found the diagram confusing. They have taken a view from below. Apart from that, Have fun, one side took 90 mins, the other 15, as it was easier once you know what you are doing.

From memory, you will need a 19mm, 15mm, and if you go for the rack end, a spanner that I have used for a bicycle centre bracket fitted (around 32 mm).

Taj.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Doug Leavitt
Track Day

Taj,

Thanks A lot! This is exactly the information I needed. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Doug
90 C4 Cab
Dublin, OH
Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 AM
paalw
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug, you finished yet? How did it go?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If your alignment is good now, you won't need a new one. Just make sure you take measurements prior to dis-assembly. Put it back together with threads in the same position. I've done this when replacing the steering rack.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No steering rack boot replacement should take 12 years.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
LOL

Just loosen the inner adjustment nut only on the tie-rod, count the amount of turns to get the tie-rod end off, then reserve the process when you're done.

The biggest PITA for me was installing the rubber bushing on the skinny end of the boot. You need to remove this piece from the old boot. It is what keeps the boot in place on the tie-rod end.

You need to remove the lower cover. Use dish soap to help the wide end of the boot slip over the lip on the rack.

Have a nice ball joint tool to remove the tie-rod from the wheel carrier w/o ruining the ball joint covers.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 AM
paalw
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Since he hasn't reported back my guess is he is still under there trying to get that tight rubber in place. Maybe if there are someone nearby they could pop in and check? He might be stuck or damaged his back or something.

Quick Reply: Changing steering rack boots