Sponsored by:

Silverstar High Performance Halogen headlamps upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silverstar High Performance Halogen headlamps upgrade

Next cold snap I have decided to fix my chin spoiler and clean the headlights. Been looking at these Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, thinking it might be a nice addition while I have everything apart. I have read the H4 change over posts, I don't have a problem with my lights as they are, so I'm not interested in doing that. Anybody have experience with these on their 964? I put the itme in Google, found a couple posts on other forums and it seems they are brighter, whiter, noticably so.. The only negative is there were a few people that say they only last about a year.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really answering your question but I saw them in Walmart last weekend. Dont know if they are the right number or not. They had a few different ones. Also prices were different. Dont know how it would compare with online prices.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Jim, where'd that warm weather go?

Thanks for the tip on Walmart. According to Sylvanias website it takes 9004ST retail was about $22ea.

Thought I'd ask here to be sure there was no reason not to try them....
Who knows, hate to find out after the fact I fried some relay or something because of them...
Old 01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
C2MED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had just changes my 993 headlight to Sliverstar, noticable difference. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you a photo of the difference.
Certainly worth doing for the price and improvement. They do say it doesn't last as long as normal halogen though.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea Snowbird I wish i knew where the warm went! Suppose to be back to the normal 70's tomorrow hopefully. You didnt bring this cold down with you did ya?? Been a while since I had the top down.
Let us know how the lights look. I need to clean out the front right lense as it looks like the PO blew out a bulb and it left a hazy film inside. May give them a try myself. Do you know if it needs a relay or wire change?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:08 PM
ACFOUR
Intermediate

I installed them about 9 months ago, after reading on another thread in this forum that they were a worthwhile modification. My lights seemed dim prior to the installation, and the Silverstars improved things significantly as they were were much whiter and brighter. I have installed them on all our cars since then. I bought mine at Auto Palace for $19.95 a bulb. I'm not sure about how long they last, but if it were for only 6 months, I would still install them.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by jimq
Yea Snowbird I wish i knew where the warm went! Suppose to be back to the normal 70's tomorrow hopefully. You didnt bring this cold down with you did ya?? Been a while since I had the top down.
Let us know how the lights look. I need to clean out the front right lense as it looks like the PO blew out a bulb and it left a hazy film inside. May give them a try myself. Do you know if it needs a relay or wire change?
I bought warmth down! It was 60 in NJ when I left after New Years. Was gorgeous 1st two weeks... It'll be back... Beats what I'd be in at home right now.

I don't think we need any changes in wires or relays, that's the info I was looking for here, seems like the thing to do from the posts.

C2MED you have mail... Love to see the picts. I'll post'em if ya want.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

I've had the SilverStars in my car for over a year now and I'm pretty pleased with it. You can expect a whiter, somewhat brighter beam but don't expect to see more due to the limited spread patterns on the H5 lens.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by PC2
I've had the SilverStars in my car for over a year now
No modifications needed correct? Plug'n'play....
Old 01-25-2005, 01:53 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Yup, Plug'n'play. Also a good opportunity to clean the H5 lens.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by PC2
Yup, Plug'n'play. Also a good opportunity to clean the H5 lens.

Excellent... I am doing the upgrade because I'm cleaning the lenses... Thanks.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:13 PM
SoCalCab
Track Day

Both of my lens have that hazy, cloudy look. I assumed it was a combination of things caused mainly by being 12 years old. I didn't think it was as simple as cleaning them so I was planning on replacing them both.

For those of you that have done it, do they clean up well? If so, what did you use to clean them?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCalCab
For those of you that have done it, do they clean up well? If so, what did you use to clean them?
Here's a link to Garrette's write up https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...lean+headlight

Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
SoCalCab
Track Day

Thanks, Peter. I should have known one of you guys would have written it up.

I should have done a search first. But, I got so excited about saving a couple hundred bucks, I was a little too quick with my initial reply.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed them also and there is very noticeable difference. I am very pleased with them on my 91 C2. If they only last 6 months I will replace them new ones without question.

Quick Reply: Silverstar High Performance Halogen headlamps upgrade