Sponsored by:

Where to mount XM antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to mount XM antenna?

I just picked up the new Delphi Myfi XM tuner...the car kit has a strong magnet antenna that needs to be run...right now it is just clamped into the passenger door...is there a better location so that I can run the wire and have it come out in the appropriate location?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XM, HUH?
Do you have to pay a monthly, or do you get it with the purchase of their product? How exactly does that work?

Duncan
Old 01-18-2005, 12:10 AM
john thompson
Advanced

Default xm

Hi,
Good question....I have mine stuck mine along the defroster vent. The wire goes under the dash and exits behind the ashtray. I made from stock metal a "bracket" that bolts behind the ashtray. This allows me to me to place the XM unit at an angle easiy seen, out of the way of the radio/cd. I am really quite happy with the way it turned out. I'll try to get some pics if you want.
Reception is just great, with the antenna on the dash, and the magnet sticks just fine.

I pay $10.00 a month and get my moneys worth. Lots of variety and makes long drives short. I go no where without it. For a few more dollars, I can bring the unit into the house and or garage and hook directly into the home stero.

Thanks,
John in Texas
Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Do you really get to listen to what ever you want? Are you able to program the songs that you like for a trip? How many songs can you program in at once?

I do alot of driving and there are quite a few areas that radio stationd just don't pick up. And besides radio pretty much suks anyways, always has. That's why I keep a collection of cds with me on trips. But you guys know that theres not much room in the 964 and a box of cds can be cumbersome.

Duncan
Old 01-18-2005, 09:18 AM
john thompson
Advanced

Hi,
Actually, you can not "program" music ahead of time. What it is more like is cable TV or satelitte TV. You have over 100 channels of music, sports, comedy, news, talk, stories. Most of it is commercial free. You can program in you favorite channels and easily flip amoung them Out is far west Texas and New Mexico, where there is Nothing to listen to, it is a dream. And really very cheap.

John
Old 01-18-2005, 10:05 AM
apw964
Instructor

Hi - Mine is installed on the rear shelf in between the speakers. Works great there. The rake of the window means it has a good view of the sky !!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 AM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So you guys are able to install the antenna INSIDE the car? That would be great...I will give it a try. What are you finding for the magnet to stick to? Or does it just sit there?

Now I have to find a way to get it to come in when I am in my office...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

DRB--there are also other antennas that you may want to look at--yours seems to be an external antenna--I had an internal one on my 996 that sat on the dashboard in the center--it barely ever lost reception--back window seems like a really good location for the 964/993 though, so I may do that when I hook mine up finally.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:56 PM
apw964
Instructor

I purchased some velcro pads and used them. Think those double sided sticky pads would also work well. You might also want to put a metal plate under the rear parcel shelf - that would work too.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

I just found out where the PO installed the XM radio antenna on my 90' Cab. I gotta admit, its pretty ingenius, but it had me stumped for a few days trying to figure out what it was when I needed to fix the non-functional LED. They installed a TERK XM antenna (took it out of the housing and trimmed some of the metal base to get it to fit) in the third brake light housing and took the bulb out and installed a LED to provide more space for the antenna. The LED in the picture was nonfunctional when I bought the car, that is how I found this little surprise when I tried to find a replacemet LED from Porsche, only to find out 90's didn't have LEDs in the third brake light. I wound up finding a similar 4 bulb LED at Kragen's and installed it and its all working great now.

Last edited by Long Duck Dong; 01-19-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
john thompson
Advanced

3rd Brake life ! What a great idea. I will have to give that a shot. Thanks for the great idea and the picture.

John
Old 01-20-2005, 01:59 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

on my car the xm antenna is right under the dash above the central vents. You would need to remove the dash board which is not at all difficult. In this central position, it is covered and protected by the dash and the window, and has a straight up view of the sky and satellite.

Jaime
Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Rear package shelf for me....and thats the older style that is the size of a computer mouse. Works great...rarely a drop out either in town (Albuquerque) or on the open road.

Cheers...

BGL
Old 01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not find mounting it inside the car to give very good reception. I ended up putting it just behind the top of the windshield in front of the sun roof. I worked the wire under the windshield molding all the way around to the bottom, passenger side corner where I brought it back out and dipped it into the door sill. There is maybe 1/2" of wire showing. It turned out to be very easy to do once I figured out how to get it into the car. I'll take a couple of pictures when I get a few minutes this weekend.

Quick Reply: Where to mount XM antenna?