Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise at speed - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005 | 03:10 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Default Wind noise at speed - Help

Since buying my car in the summer i have noticed that at speeds over 80mph that the wind noise on the drivers side is quite loud seemingly around the mirror area.

The mirrors on the car are the cup versions as standard and the panel gaps seem to be consistant (the car has never been in an accident either). Door seal looks fine to me but has started to come away but only at the bottom below the door lock catch.

Am i missing something? Could it just be the rain valley resistance against the air.

If this has been posted before please excuse me as i am new and this is my first Porsche.
Old 01-15-2005 | 03:12 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I suspect it's normal. I've always thought there was excessive wind noise from around my drivers door - but I've also been in the passenger seat of my car and experienced the same. And I've driven Christers car and found the same again (although his exhaust tends to take your mind off it).
Old 01-15-2005 | 04:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Also, try taking off the door card and stuffing a cloth in various places around the windows, especially the quarterlight (being British, you'll know what that is!) - sometimes the sealant at the base of it can crack and you get a lot of noise that way.
Old 01-15-2005 | 05:47 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

My window (the traingular quarterlight) was replaced recently and the wind noise was excessive and irritating.

Black tape around the window on the outside reduced it (temporary fix) - the permanent fix was to have Autoglass replace the glass (which they happily did) for an OE item bought from Porsche GB Reading.

My car now has no noticeable wind noise, so I suggest you try black electrical tape around the window seals (outside) to see if this helps.
Old 01-15-2005 | 06:09 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the help.

I'll try Rob's black tape idea tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. All the glass and trim on the car looks like it is as it left the factory.

I think now that there maybe some deterioration of seals with being in storage for along time before i bought it?? Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2005 | 06:46 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Yes, you can tilt the window frame in and up a little by simply loosening a few screws in the door (under the plastic grommets on the outside and one 10mm nut accessed through the speaker panel.) This obviously puts more pressure on the seals and compensates for wear.

Take it easy with your adjustments - I did mine in 2 gentle small movements and eliminated the noise fully.

Good luck!

JT
Old 01-16-2005 | 04:44 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Steve,
Assuming you still have the original glass fitted to your Turbo try this,
Ciao,
Adrian.

Air Leak at the Door Panel

1/97

10/21/97

Binder-Service Technical Bulletins

Air Leak at the Door Panel

Vehicle Type:
911 Carrera (964 and 993)
911 Turbo (964 and 993)

Model Year:
As of Model Year 1989

Concern:
Air drafts in the area of the inner door opener.

Modification:
As of April 1, 1997 from VIN: 99 1VS322950

From the above-mentioned VIN a felt piece is installed in the inner door opener (Figure 1). This significantly reduces air drafts from the area of the inner door opener. The felt piece may be installed in earlier vehicles.

Repairs:
Installation of felt piece.

- Disconnect the door opener rod, inner door cover and pull handle.

- Lay felt piece onto the inside of the inner door opener, and mark with a pen or suitable marker (Figure 1).

Important : The pointed part of the felt piece must point forward in the driving direction.

- Apply glue on the marked area of the inner door panel and install the felt piece.

- Reinstall the pull handle, inner door cover, and the door opener rod.

Important : Avoid damaging the felt piece by carefully pushing the door opener rod through the slot in the felt (Figure 1, arrow).

Parts:
993 555 715 00 Felt
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:44 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Julian Thompson
Yes, you can tilt the window frame in and up a little by simply loosening a few screws in the door (under the plastic grommets on the outside and one 10mm nut accessed through the speaker panel.) This obviously puts more pressure on the seals and compensates for wear.

Take it easy with your adjustments - I did mine in 2 gentle small movements and eliminated the noise fully.

Good luck!

JT
I have the same problem. Wind noise at the driver's mirror area. I tested the leak by taping the leading edge of the door and window frame which cured the noise. Deducing that the door and frame are not sealing at the front, I used some hardware store weather stripping to see if that helped w/o the tape. It reduced the noise also. So now it seems as if either the door seal is worn out or the window frame is out of adjustment. I believe it's the latter as the gasket seems to be in good shape and matches the passenger side which does not leak. Also, it seems as if the window frame is not in as tight to the body as the one on the passenger side. Therefore, I would like to adjust the frame as recommended. Based on the info provided:

Are these the bolts you are referring to?

Also, which speaker needs to be removed to access the other bolt mentioned?

Last question directed to Adrian- I'm not getting where the felt attaches on the door. Is it inside the door?
Old 09-12-2007 | 10:02 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

This sounds just like what I need to do.

Since I adjusted the door a little to reduce the need to give it a good clunk to shut it, I'm getting more wind noise and need to adjust the frame. However, I see there was no answer to Hildy911's question about the hidden bolt. So, does anyone know which speaker has to be removed and how is it removed?

Thanks guys
Old 09-12-2007 | 11:10 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

I should have followed up on this. The window adjustment did not help like I thought. It wasn't at all the door gaskets. By coincidence I simply covered over the real culprit here-

That little gap makes a LOT of noise. I taped over it and it went away. I found the hidden bolt and manipulated the frame around a bunch, but it only ended up making the door hard to close and created another air leak towards rear on the window frame.

Check the gap where the window frame meets the door. If it's not sealed, it will make noise.
Old 09-14-2007 | 07:18 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Hildy I'll look into that. I also managed to find full written instructions here (especially about the 10 mm bolt behind the speaker).

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=door+seals

I may also try changing the door seals on the body shell first as these look to be very tired and are coming away at the bottom of the screen pillar.
Old 10-12-2024 | 07:21 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Hey,

I am just going to resurrect this thread regarding the window noise on the drivers door near the front quarter window.

There is a rubber seal as you can see from the picture, but does not go all the way to the edge, compared to other 964's I have seen.

When I am driving if I stick my finger exactly at that point the wind noise stops...

All door rubbers and felt has been replaced.

Was this something that the Technical Note mentioned here was mean to fix, or do I need to replace that rubber? But what I cant work out, is how the hell the wind noise could travel to that part of the door?

Best regards

Alex

Old 10-16-2024 | 09:54 AM
Bearxxw,
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Since buying my car in the summer i have noticed that at speeds over 80mph that the wind noise on the drivers side is quite loud seemingly around the mirror area.

The mirrors on the car are the cup versions as standard and the panel gaps seem to be consistant (the car has never been in an accident either). Door seal looks fine to me but has started to come away but only at the bottom below the door lock catch.

Am i missing something? Could it just be the rain valley resistance against the air.

If this has been posted before please excuse me as i am new and this is my first Porsche.
I suspect it's normal. I've always thought there was excessive wind noise from around my drivers door
Old 10-16-2024 | 10:36 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexd912
Hey,

I am just going to resurrect this thread regarding the window noise on the drivers door near the front quarter window.

There is a rubber seal as you can see from the picture, but does not go all the way to the edge, compared to other 964's I have seen.

When I am driving if I stick my finger exactly at that point the wind noise stops...

All door rubbers and felt has been replaced.

Was this something that the Technical Note mentioned here was mean to fix, or do I need to replace that rubber? But what I cant work out, is how the hell the wind noise could travel to that part of the door?

Best regards

Alex
I will be chasing this exact issue - put a finger on it and it's obvious that it's coming from this area.
Old 10-16-2024 | 03:10 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Hey,

I put some of that door foam, about 5 mm thick or something, around the door edge opposite the rubber door seal, but no hope at all..

Started to think that could air be coming in to the door via the rubber hose from the door to the body of the car, but that would seem unlikely..

Let me know how you get on as winter is coming here in Finland, so the car will be off the road till next year now.

Alex

Quick Reply: Wind noise at speed - Help