Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker fitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005 | 09:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Default Speaker fitting

My speakers turned up today. Since I'm stuck at home today I have taken a quick look.

I took the drivers side door panel off last night - much easier than expected (and only necessary because some bright spark at Porsche decided the crossover should be attached from the inside of the door panel. Duh!).

I had a quick fiddle with the tweeter this morning - and I now understand the comments I've seen about fitting one part "upside down". If you don't reverser the tweeter mounting, the dome on the tweeter stops you attaching the original tweeter grill. Means the original screws are a little short - they just reach but I'll replace them with longer ones I think.

Looks like the main speaker fits easily - although I will probably used the Infinity grill but need to spray it matt black.

Which leaves me with one stupid question :

Although the Infinity manual makes it obvious which wires are + and -, the original wiring doesn't. The original tweeter, main speaker and cross-over all have a brown wire (and this has the smaller connector on the main speaker) so I'm assuming in all cases this is the negative connection?

I'm not planning to do much more today - but will fit everything tomorrow. Doesn't seem like a difficult job at all, but will take a few hours I think (plus the rears).
Old 01-14-2005 | 09:36 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Yes, the brown are negative, as you surmise. Using the Infinity grills will save some nuisance enlarging the mid-woofer mounting rings from the old speakers, and if I had it to do again, I'd probably use the new ones too. In my case some of the wiring was not reusable so it might be helpful to have enough spade males and females available to allow rewiring, just in case.
Old 01-14-2005 | 10:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks.

I will need to carry out some wiring anyway because the tweeter wires are not long enough to reach the crossover.
Old 01-16-2005 | 03:27 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

where did you put the crossover part Dave?
Old 01-16-2005 | 03:43 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Where the old one was. If you take the door pocket off, there is a compartment between the front pocket and the rear pocket (with the lid). The original cross-over is there and the Infinity one also fits there.
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:27 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Would you be so kind as to refresh my memory by letting me know which speakers you chose?
Brian
Old 01-18-2005 | 03:57 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Infinity Kappa 50.5CS for the front, and Infinity Reference 6402cf rears.

The front fit straight in - but the housing for the tweeter needs turning upside down, otherwise you can't fit the original speaker cover on because the new tweeter is domed and is too tall. Main fronts go in with no problem.

Rears also fit OK, but again there is a problem with the housing - the speaker cone is a bit bigger on the Infinity which means it's fouled by the housing, and without fitting the housing you can't fit the grill (and it looks ugly). So you have to fit the speaker, then "stick" the housing over this - because it is stuck to the top of the screw heads it's high enough not to cause a problem - and the grills can then clip in.

Quick Reply: Speaker fitting