Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : The reason a Porsche is expensive to maintain

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't know what point Tony was making - but since it wasn't anything to do with the one I was I'm happy to agree with him!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

So that's settled then, we're all happy with prawn cocktail to start...

Last edited by John Boggiano; 01-11-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:42 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Umm, sorry to be a wet blanket, John, but I'm not a big seafood guy... How about Jalapeno Poppers? And after this discussion, lets be sure that everyone's put on separate bills. I'd hate to see the tussle when we decide how much to leave for a tip.
Brian
Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Umm, sorry to be a wet blanket, John, but I'm not a big seafood guy... How about Jalapeno Poppers? And after this discussion, lets be sure that everyone's put on separate bills. I'd hate to see the tussle when we decide how much to leave for a tip.
Brian
Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one last post on this from me cos I know you're all bored of it now!...

Christer: "If you don't have liability insurance for your work Julian then thats your problem."

....this is simplistic. If I set your car on fire I will use my liability insurance and be glad I had it.

If, using Tony's example, one of my BBS Mags gets scuffed by the tyre depot they most likely will not claim anyway because the money it will cost to get repaired (dunno, say £100?) will be less than the excess and will make the insurance dear next year.

I would like to state here and now that I fully expect to pay through the nose to get tyres fitted to my £4k wheels because the job is notoriously fraught and because I will be down on them like a ton of bricks if they nick the wheels even slightly.

If I had a set of steel wheels on my fiesta the job would take pretty much the same time but would not have the same risk element - hence I would expect to pay much, much less.

I suppose the fact that I see many posts from people angry that they have been asked to pay an amount of money that at first glance might seem high shows that not so many people think of things from a company perspective.

I suppose I am a dream customer because I just expect to pay. Nobody works for nothing and there is no point working if you are not going to make money - and that means charging in a way that reflects the difficulty, time and risk that the job has taken. If you do this you will make a good profit, have happy customers and stay in business for the long haul. My company has been in business for 35 years now on this basis.

There are some customers that want to always pay less, always haggle for discount and always ensure they pay the absolute minimum possible, whilst ensuring that I do the maximum amount possible in the fastest time possible in the most dangerous and risky situation possible. These are the Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari owners that want to pay Fiesta money for work because it is the "same work". I have learned to price our business such that these people choose to find someone else (normally younger mobile lads) to do their work for them. We do remain friends though because we simply deliver our price in a professional, consistant and friendly way - and they still come to the shop to buy but they choose not to use the workshop. That's great - a win-win situation.

On the other hand we have many loyal customers who know that in the end you do tend to get what you pay for (many people choose to charge less and then not take mistakes "on the chin" - instead having to "cover it up" because there is no contingency in place) and these people are not offended by having to pay more to get their stereo fitted in their Porsche than they do in their Fiesta.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Just one last post on this from me cos I know you're all bored of it now!...
I knew we'd agree about something in the end!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Quick Reply: OT : The reason a Porsche is expensive to maintain