Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:39 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done installing the Infinity Kappa 60.5cs in one of the doors. And I am happy to report that they fit the door panels perfectly without cutting or modifications. However, the old baffles cannot be used as they are definitely too small. As a temporary fix, I've installed some plastic coverings to prevent moisture reaching the woofers. Eventually I will replace it with 6.5" waterproof foam baffles. The new tweeters will fit the original casing (turned inside out) and the factory grills can be used. I'll be painting the Infinity grills to match the factory black.

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2005, 05:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've been meaning to do this for ages, and since I had a letter yesterday saying a nice wedge of cash had turned up in my account I've finally ordered the Infinity Kappa 50.5 CS.

I also ordered rears - Kappa 693.5i, which I don't think I really need but I got a bit carried away.

Christer - if you want a short term rear speaker solution, you can have mine. I have no idea what they are - even though I bought them 3 years ago. The audio shop told me I needed new ones when they installed the alarm / stereo and I simply said "yes". Cost me about £40 I think, so probably nothing fancy - but they work better than your current ones.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Oops. Just realised - shouldn't have ordered those rears. I need 4x6! Why did I think I needed 6x9! Time for a phone call..........
Old 01-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Mike in Atlanta
Intermediate

On the subject of speakers, it amazes me how well the stock speakers do sound. I mean they look like they cost $2.99 retail vs how a aftermarket speaker looks.

Guess I am trying to say, after seeing how bad some stock speakers look vs a meaty aftermarket speaker, I was somewhat surprised at 1. how well the stock speaker did sound vs it's cheap/thin appearance 2. the improvement wasnt quite what I thought given the speaker construction between stock and aftermarket.

I would say some of it comes from the speakers being engineered for their application adn performing effeciently for the task vs aftermarket being designed for wide range of vehicle fitments. wonder if it is the cross over and amplification getting the most out of stock speakers or actuall design for particular install? I have been amazed at some of the 3.5 inch speakers I have taken out of Audi's & BMW's that looked like PC speakers.

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I'm surprised you say that - because mine sound pretty dreadful and very weak. I've heard other peoples cars - who have upgraded and they sound sooooo much better.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I'm glad yours sound good, Mike, because my woofers are completely deteriorated and hardly make any sound at all anymore, aside from an obnoxious buzzing noise! I'm not surprised, as the surrounds are made of paper that's 15 years old, but it's certainly time for an upgrade. Maybe you got lucky and a PO replaced the stock speakers!
Brian
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike in Atlanta
Intermediate

lol, I think some of you are mis understanding me. I am not saying the stock speakers sound good by any stretch. But they dont sound as bad as they look so to speak. I havent checked the speakers in our 91 yet, but the PO swears they are stock and they appear to be stock. I might be surprised when I pop the covers off. Hopefully not since it does need improvement at anything above conversation loudness.

I was basically trying to say that in some Audi's, BMW's etc with stock systems, I was just surprised they sounded as good as they did given the cheap crap they had for speakers. I mean a 3.5in speaker with a magnet the size of a quarter is impressive if it can play full range beyond a whisper. Replaced the speakers in my 535i with good componets and the improvement was good, but not a HUGE difference like I expected given the comparison of stock and aftermarket.

For example, say you replaced your brakes that look like tinfoil with the new CGT Carbon brakes, you are going to expect huge differences but say it only stopped you 10ft shorter, your going to scratch your head.

Again, the 911 might not be a good example as I might feel someone changed our speakers already as it sounds ok (barely) but mostly just lacks volume at highway speeds. In a couple of the 5 series I have owned, with decent stock stereos, the speakers were just junk or atleast looked like junk but yet sounded much bigger than the 4" speakers they were.

I have noticed replacing the stock head unit results in the biggest gains vs anything else. Regardless of who made the stock units(Alpine, Pioneer etc) they dont even compare to the cheapest CD players today.

I had hoped to convince the GF to remove the rear seats, make a fake rear parcel shelf with 2 small subs underneath. She is not too keen on the idea, lol.

Mike

Quick Reply: Another Speaker question