Another Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:05 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Speaker question

I know these speaker questions have been nearly beaten to death, but here's one more...
Crutchfield.com lists the 964 rear deck speakers as 5.25"ers, but having seen them I'm almost certain that they're actually 4x6s. Anybody dropped in a set of 5.25"s without modification and using the factory grilles?
Brian
Old 01-04-2005, 05:57 PM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear deck speakers are in fact 4x6. I dropped a set of Infinity speakers in there that I am very happy with, and was able to use the stock grills with minimal fuss.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Thought so. Thanks for the tip drb007. Just out of curiousity, which Infinitys were they? I've been looking at the 6402cfs.
Brian
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian:

I put the Infinity Kappa 4 x 6 in the rear, I think the 5 1/4 refers to the larger door speaker. Look at the Blaupunkts in the rear before replacing them, My door large speaker was in tatters, and the factory tweeter is cardboard (really cheap). What I found after removing the rear speakers is that they were still in great shape, and really sound pretty good. The buzzing I was getting was due to the front speakers. I really wish I had kept the factory rears, and invested the money in some more amp power and subwoofers. It is nice to have Infinity speakers all around, but the factory amp is puny, and you really need at least one subwoofer to get good sound.

Good luck on the upgrades
Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C2 Cab rear speakers are 5-1/4 components, the fronts are 6-1/2 components. The C4 Coupe speakers are 5-1/2 components in front and 4x6 integrated in the rear.

I think the ones in the C4 are original, however the speakers in the cab have been replaced with Infinity Kappas.

Duncan
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

964 rear speakers are indeed 4 x 6 inchers - I replaced mine with the 993 ones and they sound soo much better - both in quality as well as in volume!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:33 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Brian,

I have a pair of Infinity KAPPA 462.5CFP in the rear. They were a direct replacement and the factory grills can be used except you'll need to use some double sided tape to secure it. Incidentally, I have a pair of Infinity KAPPA60.5CS on order to replace a pair of blown MB Quartz in the front. From what I've read the infinity 6.5" will fit without modifications (crossing my fingers) due to the mounting points. I'll report back if this is true.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:36 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I fitted Alpine 6 1/2's in the doors on mine, they did not go straight in, I had lots of work to do with reshaping the door card, and removing the plastic dome behind the old speakers, not trying to put you off, but new speakers and crossovers took me about 1-2 hours fiddling. after I figured out what to do to get the door cards off.

kevin
Old 01-05-2005, 02:38 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi,

There's a pic of my fitted Infinity 6x4 with grille in this thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...y&pagenumber=2

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

PC2,
I read on a post here that the correct Infinitys were the 6000cs. Those were the ones I was going to go with. Let me know how you get on with the 60.5cs.

Brian
Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

PC2,
You may want to check out the thread that DaveGordon posts above. robmug is the one who said the 6000cs fit perfectly, and he originally posted that the 60.5cs were the ones he installed.
Brian
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi again,

I think my fronts are the 50.5CS (they are definitely 13.5cm) and I reckon the fitment of 6" fronts in the standard holes would depend on the model. If they're reasonably shallow baskets then OK, but mine were pretty marginal. I had to lengthen the holes on the plastic rain-guard thing in order to let it bend out a bit to accommodate them. I'd be surprised if the next size up fits without a bit of cutting...

Dave.

EDIT:
Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with making the hole bigger, and also you can of course ditch the rain guard as long as you put some plastic or something behind them..

Also, Infinity made a big thing about the fact they were n% bigger than a normal 13.5cm - certainly the magnet, basket, driver were all muh bigger than the original factory fit 13.5cm...
Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhensarl
PC2,
You may want to check out the thread that DaveGordon posts above. robmug is the one who said the 6000cs fit perfectly, and he originally posted that the 60.5cs were the ones he installed.
Brian
Brian,

That was the post I read. But judging from the dimensions I got from Infinity's web site, the 6000cs & 60.5cs seems to be pretty close. I'll confirm the results when I receive them later this week.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I fitted Kappa 50.5CSs as well, using the original trim rings and grilles, with some creative Dremel work for the midwoofer mounting rings. (Watch 'em, they're brittle.) I suspect the basket of the 6 1/2" would be enough bigger to be a VERY tight fit or require enlarging the door card hole and rain guard, as stated above. I didn't want to do that, so settled for the 5 1/4" units. My rear speakers were still intact, and I consider them just for "fill" anyway, since I prefer the soundstage to be forward rather than centred or rearward, so I left 'em alone. Just a preference, no right or wrong.

The best thing about the Infinities is that the crossover will fit in the factory location - lots of speakers'll fit the opening, some better than the Infinities, but they have HUGE crossovers. Yikes.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you will have problems with the 6.5 Infinities.

I have the same set-up at Darryl (and my installer even broke one of the trim rings while trimming with a Dremel tool!). I had originally bought 6.5's, but he took one look at said no way...not without some surgery. So back they went, and we did the 5 1/4" models.

Ditto on the rears too. I only use 'em when my daughter is in the back.

And since this is a car stereo thread, I would be remiss if I did not plug Rob Birch's Car Audio Innovations products. I have a single sub (12" IIRC) in the footwell behind the drivers seat...SWEEEEET! Not a boom car, but solid, tight bass.

BGL

Quick Reply: Another Speaker question