Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squirrel Invasion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004 | 08:23 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Default Squirrel Invasion

Unfortunately I do not have a garage so I have to park my car outside. Today when I was leaving for work in my truck, I saw a squirrel sitting on the cover, on the tail. I pulled over and there was now a big hole in my $250 cover. Worse, they started to chew into the tail! I looked towards the front of the car and there was another new large hole….and scratches down to the primer? from their teeth. They are using the material for their nest I guess.

Last year they made my Explorer engine bay their home and chewed through two wiring harnesses!

I fu**ing hate squirrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to buy a home with a garage. I did a search and mice cost a 993 Turbo owner $3,500. This seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Just venting.

Jim
Old 12-28-2004 | 08:54 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had to have my car resprayed because a fox got trapped IN the garage. Scratched the car up trying to escape. Left a huge poop on the roof for me to clean

What can I say. They are complete Animals!!!
Old 12-28-2004 | 08:59 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

They can taste pretty good made up in a stew
I feel the same about the neighborhood cats that seem to enjoy sleeping on my cab top when my garage is open. Had one scratch out the other day and leave a 6" pull in the top material. Other times they seem to enjoy using my wheels as their private privy
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:11 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

At least they're not in your house!!!

I live in a heavilly wooded area. Squirrels have torn off the covering of the vents to my bathroom fans and have now made the metal tubes linking the exhaust fans their own "personal storage area."

I've had problems with them an the 964 outside as well. Here's what I've learned:

1. DON'T buy an expensive car cover. I used to buy expensive covers but if squirrels didn't get them, then sure enough some kid would just have to see how easy it is to cut them open, or cats MUST use them as scratching posts. The cover I use now lasts about 2 years before it needs to be tossed, and if something decides to "improve" it for me I'm not out that much money. The cover works fine, but it's only good for 2 years. I forgot the name of the store, and I'm not at home so I can't access their catalogue right now.

2. Sprinkle "Varmint repellent" (not an official product name, just what they do) around the base of the car. This seems to be pretty effective at keeping cats and squirrels away, as well as the local dog that needs glasses and thinks 964=Fire Hydrant.

When I get home I'll get some product names for you, provided I remember.

Old 12-29-2004 | 03:36 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

My car used to be continuously under siege by my neighbour's cats. They leave some nasty scratches! Not to mention the frustration when you just finished washing/polishing/waxing, just to find prints and hairs all over your car a few hours after you're done. (that happened more that once )

A car cover solved the problem - either that or the good 'ol bucket with water did the trick I haven't seen them on my car since.

I guess I'm very fortunate that there are no squirrels in my area!
Old 12-30-2004 | 12:47 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking Squirrel problems?

Here's what I use ... very effective!

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 09-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2004 | 08:08 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

That's one fast dog! What's his 0 - 60 time?
Old 12-30-2004 | 08:31 AM
Christer
Race Car

It can climb trees? That IS impressive....
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:07 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Joey, I love that dog!

Bill, any idea on where you bought that cover?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004 | 12:52 PM
The Eagle
Pro

LOL !
Great
Old 12-31-2004 | 03:14 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forklift:

When I bought my cover two years ago, the place was called "Tweeks." Now they go by the name "Mid America Motorworks". You can access them on line by their old web address:

http://www.tweeks.com

or their new one:

http://www.mamotorworks.com

An exact link to their page with covers is:

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=5.40.3692

An oddity about the page above is that in the chart the car cover is listed as being $99.99 and at the bottom of the page it's listed as being $89.99. The fit is good, and it lives up to it's claim of lasting two years. Mine will turn two years old in a few weeks and it's pretty much shot, but it's provided excellent coverage. For some reason, cats don't seem to like it as well as they used to like my old (and expensive) Noah covers.

The part number for the cover is:
411-202 Car Cover $89.99

Hope this helps,

Old 01-02-2005 | 03:43 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

LOL! Good dog, Joey! Ayup, man's servant. Get a dog and encourage his bully behavior with squirrells and cats. There's 2 outsdoor cats in my complex that ALWAYS seem to spray my windshield the day after I wash my car. Whenever I'm walking Ozzy, my blue heeler, late at night and see one of the guilty felines, I "accidently" drop Ozzy's leash. Heh heh.

Not that I would allow my dog to harm one, but a good scare on a regular basis seems to keep the stinky fur-bags away from my car. You could always take up archery for the squirrell problem. Set yourself up a ground blind near a feeder and skewer them one by one...
Old 01-02-2005 | 05:48 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Nah, Indy. The guns just lay in the cargo area. It's the fishing gear and my kayak and the beach drives that really neccessitate a 4x4 in my near future. And driving to the deer stand in a Honda just looks plain girlie...
Old 01-02-2005 | 07:58 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Actually, I've only had to drive my car to the deer stand twice; and even then I parked a lot further away than usual. Don't think I'd be doing that in a Turbo, but then, my dad had a friend who always drove his 911SC to our deer lease. He and I probably off-roaded our cars more than 10 Cayenne owners combined...

So, back to the squirrells, I thought that if you used stainless steel arrows to shoot them, you could just pop them on the grill just like that. Sorry, man. Not trying make fun or your situation; just trying to give ya a smile. Chewing on my 964 would incite an all-out War of the Rodentia.
Old 01-02-2005 | 08:31 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

All good. I had a compound bow a few years ago, but gave it to a friend. I would get it back, except I live in a townhouse development. I gave up hunting because the deer season was too damn cold. I love animals, they are delicious.

Maybe you should make a General Lee 951 with the same horn. That would be killer.

Bill, thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Jim

Quick Reply: Squirrel Invasion