Sponsored by:

I need ICE help....please:( (long...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Avoid the Alpine iPod control unit. I had one put in my CR-V with a IVA-D300 and it is lousy.

It can only play the first few playlists, can only access the first 256 songs, albums or artists. I have a 40 G with over 7000 songs on it so the ability to play only albums starting with A - D is a waste of time.

I'm going pull it out next spring, eBay it, and wire a direct connect from the iPod to the stereo through an AUX input.

My 0.02

Marc
Old 12-28-2004, 03:18 PM
andrew964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put in a set of infinity's (with cross overs) along with a Blaupunkt Daytona, not only is the sound quality fantastic (compared to the stock speakers) but the installation only took a couple of hours including running new cables for the speakers. the whole lot including decent wire cost £260. and the head unit even looks like it belongs in the dash unlike most current units
Old 12-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
I tend to agree with Dave - junk the amp, it's not really needed (IMO) unless you also intend to fit a bass tube, neon lights and spinners

Ok so after reading all the threads on here I have desided not to use the amp.

This amp is somwhere under the drivers seat. So I imagine I can do this quite easily by using 4 pairs of sepaker cable streight from teh new head unit and plug them into the connector from the speakers that goes into the amp.

seems simple enough. that way i dont have to mess with wiring going to the door's etc.

sound ok?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarrylH
Jamie,
The feed from the head unit is terminated about six inches before the crossovers with one large and one small spade connector (at least, with the original Blaupunkt stuff in my car) which likely would have fit the terminals on the speaker. Dynamat is good, reduces resonances, be nice to preserve it if you can.
Well I did manage to have a look at this on Christmas day before cracking into the turkey and the connectors from the head unit to the crossovers were the round pin type (not sure if OE or replaced by P/O) rather than flat spade type. So not wanting to mess with the wiring without the right tools (and it was too damn cold !) I just left it as it was. Longer term I think the best solution will be to make up a little adapter harness to convert the pin connector to a spade connector. That will have to wait for a rainy day !

Jamie

Quick Reply: I need ICE help....please:( (long...)