Sponsored by:

Cylinder Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder Identification

Without doing a massive achive search is there any easy way to make a visual check to determine if the cylinders are the head gasket type. Looking at a set of p&c's and can get no information about model year or engine number they came from. My PET is not doing me any good with the parts blow up.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know if this will help, but Bruce Andersons PORSCHE 911 PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK has pictures of both types on page 74. You really need to see it rather than relying on a verbal explanation.

You might want to call some shops and see if they have some old cylinders of both types laying around to look at and see if they show any obvious differences from the top side. The older type is curved in all four sides of the cylinder at the very base, while the new ones are like a straight edge on two parallel sides and curved to follow the contour of the pistons on the other sides.

If I get a chance I'll try and scan some of these photos. They may already be on this site though.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 AM
alan911sc
Instructor

I thought I saw a pic somewhere, then I remembered it was probably in B.A.'s book. It's been collecting dust since I got Adrian's Bible. Sure enough there it was on page 74. The cylinders for sale turned out to old style gasketless.
Thanks anyways and have a Happy Holiday Season
Alan

Quick Reply: Cylinder Identification