Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Demon Salt

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've stored sports cars for our winter season (4-6 months out of the year) for over 15 years now with zero problems. I agree with DJF1 that if you store a car properly (take the 4-8 hours to prep the car right), you won't have any problems come spring time.

My first 911 was a year 'round car that was exposed to 10 years of salt by the prior owner (and it was a zinc coated '86). That bubbling paint from areas that got salt exposure but were impossible to clean was not much to look at, not to mention the corrosion on the underside of the car... The rubberized undercoating was hiding quite a bit of rust on that car as well... I've seen local 964's that have done winter duty and they (964's) rust too.

But, it's your money and your car, so do what you want. Yes, they are just a car, but I would tend to think they are a bit more special than just a daily driver Honda... Rust repair is not cheap on these cars...
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"John FM you still here mr Porscheless,I dare say your in your run down garage everynight trying to emulate the sweet sound of a flat six,Christers corolla should cover your needs until you get back on your feet."

I suppose I could find £3.50 from the back of the sofa and buy a LHD, fibreglass fendered fake turbo body cab - I'd still have change to get it serviced in Suffolk too!! Do you know where I could get one.......
Old 12-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive, wash, Repeat.

It is not rocket science.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:54 AM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Drive, wash, Repeat.

It is not rocket science.
So what you are saying is I should wash my car down 7 times a week,got better things to do than that I think i'll go for the old wreck run it till summer option.
Paul
Old 12-09-2004, 05:15 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Looks like you've answered your own question then....
Old 12-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah....washing ones car after each drive is just crazy. Just like washing your hands every time you touch something that isn't attached to you. A beater is the way forward.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Nyuckies.

I take an hour to get to work, on very 'evo' roads if I choose. Car was clean setting off. Now I can't read the rear plate! She's absolutely getting washed tonight, by jove. In fact, I'm going to trolley jack one side first and spray her underneath. Only downside is frostyness from the breadknife..honey I'm home..see you in 15 minutes, where's me wellies.

I suppose I'm cheating - I do have a beater (the Merc). But life is definitely too short, and the C4 is definitely too good in winter. I am also a hippocrite, cos the 2cv is tucked up for the winter, full tank, overinflated tyres, a stack of french novels for her to read..oh yes. I turn the motor over with the starting handle once a month, just to give the fieldmice some excitement.

This is one of several Rennlist old chestnuts, eh? Right up there with the good old undertray debate..
Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Use it.

Unless you've owned it from new, how do you know that the previous owners haven't run it on salty roads for years and years and never washed it until the day they sold it?

There's a wealth of experience on this forum and I din't think I've EVER seen a thread regarding ACTUAL damage from salt.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
Unless you've owned it from new, how do you know that the previous owners haven't run it on salty roads for years and years and never washed it until the day they sold it?

There's a wealth of experience on this forum and I din't think I've EVER seen a thread regarding ACTUAL damage from salt.
You can tell pretty quickly if a car has been exposed to salt. My 964 has never been in salt and you can tell. I've talked with both prior owners and neither one exposed it to salt either. There is zero corrosion anywhere. As I mentioned above, my previous 911 had honest to goodness damage from salt exposure that would have taken a few bucks to correct.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Jay

I think you are the exception to the norm....
Old 12-09-2004, 01:51 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
Use it.

No I want a beater so we can start a beater gallery
Old 12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

So, does the undertray stay on?

Does this really help in this situation?

Not trying to stir it up, but I'm wondering if this keeps the bad stuff away from the good stuff?

Jason
(getting ready to look for a C4-cab this time next year)
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Dove

if you need a start a beater gallery, you could dig up pictures of that fibreglass fendered, fake turbo cab...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jason Judd - I dunno....would the undertray keep the salt out or trap it in?

Marc
Old 12-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the tray totally keeps the crap off the hot shiny bits, no question. Only reason I keep it on.

Quick Reply: The Demon Salt