Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many manually operated Cabrio roofs here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:30 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many manually operated Cabrio roofs here?

Hi
Just received my new roof material to recover my worn-out roof (got the 993 style roof), so i thought i'd have a look at the mechanism and wires before i recover the roof... boy, am i glad i looked, BOTH wires have broken!!!
They must have broken the last time i raised the roof and i must have just been damn lucky that the roof didn't snap! (it was a bit 'jerky' last time i raised the roof so maybe one had already broken?...)
I have read past threads about the joys of owning a 964 cabrio(?) and it seems that a lot of people have had problems and that it is only a 'matter of time' before your mechanism could break?!?(cant have been a Porsche engineer that desgned our 964 roof systems can it?)
Just wondered what everybody thought, i understand to a purist that a 964 should be 'preserved' how it came out of the factory... but at what cost???
Can't wait to get the roof recovered though...a scruffy rag-top really spoils the car!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

My car has a manual cabriolet top.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Well Bo,
When I first purchased my 964 used in 1998, I loved the mechanical top. But now that it has had its share of wear and tare, I've reconcidered owning a cabriolet.

A little history and by all means this not an example of all P-cars, only mine. 1 the dash switch broke (no big deal) 2 The cable on the right motor and shortly after replacement the left side broke but all is still well. 3 The little wheel on the right side locking motor fell off (I had to buy the whole motor assembly, could not get the mechanism alone). 4 I am on a date and I go to put the top down and POP, evedintally one of the top transmissions had somhow slipped and locked, causing the top to bind, which broke the bow (B-pillar) over the left side. WOW, I'm really having some problems with this top (I thought). 5 Later I decided to replcae the bow and have new canvas put on. I thoght surely nothing else could happen unexpectedly after all this. 6 Cruisin w/the top down at OBX and a sudden down pore sneeks up. The top makes it up halfway and won't continue nor will it go back down. Meanwhile the rain is relentlous as I make it to a gas station for cover. Turns out both top motors had failed, I'm thinking how is this possible. I'mtold that only one of the motors had been working and that probably caused the cable failures in the begining. I GIVE UP, I took out the transmissions, the cables, the motors, the linkages, and now have a manual top, which I plan on replacing with a 964 after market hard shell.

I hope I didn't burst anyones bubble but I'm definetly a beleiver in that soft tops are not and I repeat NOT for everyday use. Too many pieces to fail. But, then again I could have just gotten one with a crappy top. Duncan
Old 12-03-2004, 09:21 PM
ecsjr
Advanced

I disconnected the raising and lowing motors in the back about a month after I bought my Cab, which was almost 4 years ago. I still use the latching motors at the front.

Latch or unlatch with the switch, and then put it up/down maunally. I always unziped the window and put the boot on anyway, so the electric lowering/raising actually seemed to take longer.

Ed
'92 C2 Cab
Old 12-03-2004, 10:06 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my motors removed, but have retained the automatic latch's up front. Should have done it day 1 - and would have saved my pocket book from two heavy hits.
Love my cab - hate the automatic mechanism...and that's my opinion.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

After snapping my support (which I have part but not installed) I have been operating it manual up and down and using the power locking mechanism only. I will probably get around to replacing the brace this winter. The manual mode works fine...
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feed back guys, i think you've helped to convince me that a manual conversion (whilst keeping the latches electric is probably the best way to go, well, the least risky anyway!!!)
What is the best things to do: disconnect the motors... Completely remove them or just undo the centre bolt?
As i would know that the roof electrics are disconnected, i could just remove the bulb from the dashboard, instead of messing around with the microswitches...?

Duncan, boy you had some problems! How did the date work out after the roof incident???

Best regards

Last edited by KB964Cabrio; 12-04-2004 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I pulled into a boating store, bought an allenwrench set, took the four bolts out of the linkage between transmission arms and the mechanism for the top, then I put the top down manually,(I had her give me a hand).

She was impressed by my resorcefulness? WOW!! you were like McGyver! But I was still embarrased by the whole episode, and her girlfreinds probably got a good kick out of it the when she told them the next day. Duncan
Old 12-04-2004, 03:38 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Sorry to raise the pain again Duncan!!! I'm sure she wont forget the date though!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:51 PM
C4S993
Pro

Ed, Are you serious, you unzip that rear plastic window every time to srop the top ? Why ?

Patrick
Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 AM
ecsjr
Advanced

Yea, so it doesn't get a crease in it.

My top had been replaced by the previous owner in '95, so its now 9 years old, and its in GREAT shape! I thought everyone did.

Ed
'92 C2 Cab
Old 12-05-2004, 09:39 AM
jrb964
Instructor

I concur - unziping the rear window is a must. Also cleaning on a regular basis is a good idea also.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

I unzip my window every time, too. My top is also OEM-style - fully operational via the switch. I like it that way
Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never unzip my window and my top is fully electric. Although I have had some top problems they have not been that bad yet and I have not converted it. I would really hate to go manual, although since the top boot is manual (and I always use it) a manual top would not be the worst thing I suppose. BTW, my first rear window lasted 12 years and the plastic itself was in fine shape when I replaced it but the stitching rotted out and the top guy talked me into replacing the plastic since they were stitching the whole window anyhow.

As a related aside, I really like thebelow freezing tempertures. Does anyone put their top down when it is that cold?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Yea, as much as I dislike the numerous problems that I've had with my top, and the determinism that I've put into researching a replacement, I'll probably give the existing top another go. It's understandable that certain repairs have to be expected, and I guess I should break down and restore the top. I know it will be a major undertaking, but I'm sure when all is said and done, it will be worth it. Duncan

Quick Reply: How many manually operated Cabrio roofs here?