Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many manually operated Cabrio roofs here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Duncan,
I probably have to replace the cab top myself this winter. I bought one of those cab top service manuals for 993 and boxter as a reference. It shows how to remove and install 993 cab tops. It looks simple, but I think it will be a lot more complicated than what's in the manual. good luck to us all. Regards, andrew
Old 12-08-2004, 05:01 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All
I 've just rebuilt the roof mechanism on my cab. The roof is not a brilliant design, but after building
up the worn dog drives on both sector gears it now works fine. I also think I will stake the operating arms to the sector gear as added insurance. I have a "bi-plane" spoiler so the rotary switch in the centre console for the old (removed) motorized spoiler. Now controls the roof. I would have to agree the quality of the wiring, and switch gear in these cars is pretty appalling.

Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did alittle research and I discovered that when installing a new top it is best to lay it out in the hot sun for few hours. This will allow any creases to smooth out before the install. It is also suggested that the heat will help expand the material and make it more pliable during the install. Which inturn makes for a smoother looking job. Cold fabric tends to be more difficult to work with (stiffer/harder to bend around edges). Doing this job during warm weather seems to be the ticket, or at least in a climate controlled area/shop. This is a good thing, because you will gain from the small amount of shinkage during the cooler days/nights (tighter looking top).
Hope this helps.
Duncan
Old 12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Good tip Duncan... However in England, maybe my living room floor will be warmer tham the sun (ho,ho,ho!!!) Gonna have a go this weekend, hopefully with success, otherwise, my local trimmer will be making some money before Christmas!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Before you remove the top from the car lay the new top over and with a piece of chalk mark the center front and rear. Also it would be a good idea to note your material hangover so you'll have some sort of refferance for the final fitment.

Duncan
duncaj16@hotmail.com
Old 12-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Electric latching and manual raising and lowering for me. I'd much rather avoid the potential repair bill and don't care about having to heave the roof up and down.

Quick Reply: How many manually operated Cabrio roofs here?