Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

post cage installation: popping sound from flexed body sheet metal & its elimination

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Arrow post cage installation: popping sound from flexed body sheet metal & its elimination

It was interesting that after installing my cage, the area indicated below (vertical panel beneath the passenger-side rear seat bottom) in the pictures would "pop" when ever there was a shift in weight of the car, even when jacking it up. The cage has appeared to pull inwards the body enough that the sheet metal developed some slack, so it could be pressed in and out! I know this to be a fact because I had to actually use a jack in between the bars to "stretch" it to make it wide enough to bolt into the welded plates.

Very interesting, and very annoying - sounds like a drum when I hit gentle or sharp bumps, or when I corner hard to the left to increase pressure on that side. I could not take it any longer - noises bug me when I think I can do something about it...

So, to eliminate the problem, you can see that I welded a piece of steel onto that area, which supported the body's sheet metal and prevents it from popping in and out! The weld is one of my worst, thank you very much! It was a very difficult reach, and difficult to keep the undercoating on the underside from catching on fire, and keep the carpet from igniting as well! It was a couple hours of toxic inhalation for sure as the adhesive-from-hell would burn, the carpet would burn, and the undercoating would burn!!!

Thought you'd all enjoy seeing this, and I wonder if anyone else had experienced this after installing a cage, or even without?
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

That's weird. Has your car ever been hit before?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

Not that I or the previous owners recall or can detect - car has only had its hood resprayed for the chips! It didn't do it before the cage installation... I think that because I had to "stretch" the cage into position by about an inch total, maybe it is putting pressure on it in a strange way to make a slackened portion of metal. The metal didn't move much, just enough to make a pop every so often.

It is weird! But gone now!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:57 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bar also needed to be stretched to fit but I don't hear any noises due to flexing.

Glad you worked it out.

Quick Reply: post cage installation: popping sound from flexed body sheet metal & its elimination