Sponsored by:

Engine oil leaks - diagnosis please

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 05:31 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine oil leaks - diagnosis please

Took these photos recently whilst the engine undertray was off. I'm after comments on what the diagnosis may be...am I looking at cylinder head or through-bolt leaks...or are they much more minor? Or is it not possible to tell?

For info, the car doesn't leave much oil on floor. Coin sized drop every week.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,
I would be very surprised if you get a 100% diagnosis from these pics. The procedure for all the leaks i've ever had has been to steam clean the area and test until it leaks again. I think thats the only way you could be sure you are not repairing something that didn't need it. FWIW i think you should put the tray back on and keep an eye on the level and save the £XXXX.00 that is is sureley going to cost.
I know you are a perfectionist but i'd definiteley wait until it gets worse.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:03 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob

all those drips looks VERY similar in location to mine. The drips on the cam chain tensioner, for example. These are all 'weeps' and 'sweats' rather than out & out leaks, so I think, as in my case, they are no very simple to track down the source.

Enjoyed the pint, BTW!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:59 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Thanks - john - which photo shows the cam chain tensioner then? That's the kind of info I'm after "eg, picture 2 shows the jobby with the thingy leaking". I DO know however that picture 8 is the heat exchanger on the drivers side (which is why I get an oily smell with the heater on).
Old 10-20-2003, 07:11 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Photo 2 is the cam chain tensioner - that black plastic thing with the drip on the end.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had similar but much more minor weeping (photo 1,2,3,4,5) on my 964 from this area, I changed the chain case seals and valve covers and now it is dry again. As for the remainder it is very hard to say, best advise is given above, clean it, drive it and then look again.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:15 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

These photos were taken after I'd cleaned, driven then left to stand for 3 days.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very difficult to diagnose as the oil gets blown around everwhere. I would agree the only way is to give it a good clean and then look again. Sometimes it's easier to give it a clean, go for a drive and then clean again. Run the engine on tick over for a sort time and check again. This can show where it's actually leaking from. The first couple or so look like they could be from the cam shaft seal (cam housing to timing chain housing), the oil runs down and collects on the lowest points (i.e. tensioner housing, bottom of chain cover). Seems a common leak area from what I've heard, I believe the 993 also has the same set up so will be interesting to see if these start in the years to come. I have a leak from this area on the RH side (pic no.4). Initially I thought it was the covers but unfortunately wasn't.
The last 2 could be from the oil pressure switch area on the top of the engine. Again I had oil coming down here and found it to be the breather cover weeping, tightened the bolts and now the drips gone. The oil gets blown back from the cooling fan and then runs down the gearbox end of the engine.
Good luck!!

Richard H 1990 C2
Old 10-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Your power steering pump drive off the right camshaft is one of your problems. The shot of the housing with the leak coming out of the notch confirms it. Once fixed, you'll see a lot less oil everywhere as it blows around so much.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:54 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Fred - which photo is that? Sorry to appear (be) dim...I can't actually identify the main components. I really need educating!

Sounds like a good spot though.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:00 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Pic 6 & 7 (I think). Power stering pump is on th RHS at the front (ie right near no 6 cylinder). Its one of the things that gets a bit in the way to change plug #6.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

It's the cylindrical housing about the circumference of a coffee can with a cut out notch on the bottom, front edge where the drip is showing.
There is a seal and an O ring on the end of the camshaft within this housing. This is where the cog belt that drives the pump is located.
The job to replace the seals can, with difficulty, be done with engine in but I chose to remove the engine to do this last year. It would be possible with a partial engine drop.
Secondary muffler has to be removed to get at it.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Yes....pix 6&7 are the pump housing.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Is it possible to replace the cam shaft seal (O ring) and/or the chain housing seal without dropping the engine? I have what appears to be a leak from both areas.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:35 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

I've been looking back at previous threads about leaks on 964's and there seems to be a lot of owners who state - ' if your oil pressure is ok and you're not having to 'top-up' too often, don't worry about having leaks as it is far cheaper to buy a ltr of oil than having all of the minor leaks repaired, which are likely to end up leaking again anyway'...
I had my car serviced at Camtune a couple of months ago and while the car was up on the ramps, i noticed the proverbial oil 'leaks' under the car. I was quoted 'aound' £3500 for a rebuild and clutch replacement, but i was still informed not to expect the car to be leak free, even after the work is finished??!!??

Do you have an oil pressure problem, or is it that you just don't like having the leaks?

regards
Bo

Quick Reply: Engine oil leaks - diagnosis please